Thread: Milk and honey

Hybrid View

Smile Milk and honey

Hello...
    How many glasses of milk should an expectant mother drink to have a healthy baby?
    Also, is it true that if you take 2 teaspoon of honey, your baby is guaranteed to have good skin?

Thank you..
    Sincerely..Corrie

Hi Corrie,

Thank you for your questions.

When you are pregnant you require additional calcium in your diet (particularly in the last trimester of pregnancy when calcium is being laid down on the baby's bones). This means that it is advised for pregnant women to eat 3 portions of dairy products or glasses of milk a day (low or reduced fat milk is best).

A portion of dairy could be gained from foods such as a: 150g pot of yoghurt or a small chunk of hard cheese. Note that soft and semi-soft cheesed are not advised for pregnant women due to the risk of listeria. You can also get calcium from eating foods such as: dried apricots, bread and fortified orange juice.

Have a look at this article which explains which foods are safe to eat in pregnancy and what particular types of food it's good to make sure you are eating enough of.

I have never heard that honey can be good for a baby's skin. I understand that it is ok to eat some honey in pregnancy as long as it is pasteurized.

I hope this is helpful for you - but please post back if you have any further questions.

Well, Congratulations for your pregnancy. I think you should have drink one glass of milk daily and yes it is true if you take two teaspoon of honey then it effect the newborn baby skin. During pregnancy, most women need to eat more healthy food to help the baby grow. After the first 3 months, a pregnant woman must take in more calories than usual to reach the recommended amount of weight gain during pregnancy (usually 8 to 15kg). It is not a good idea to lose weight while you are pregnant. Your doctor or nurse will talk to you about how much weight you should gain. A healthy diet and careful weight gain can prevent high blood pressure and other problems during pregnancy.

Administrator
    Milk and dairy foods do contain calcium and many people get their calcium this way. You can also get calcium from nuts, seeds and salmon (tinned with bones is the best). So it isn't essential to drink a certain number of glasses of milk per day so long as you are eating calcium rich foods. I would not have honey in milk. Honey is pure sugar and that is one thing we do not need more of. There is no evidence that honey is good for a baby's skin. A diet rich in protein and some complex carbohydrates with lots of variety is ideal. Avoid refined sugar, honey and processed foods.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hi Corrie,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your pregnancy!

I agree with Aussiemidwife. You don't need to drink milk every day during pregnancy. Dark leafy greens have a lot of calcium in them and you'd probably do well to eat at least one, if not two, good, "Rainbow Salads" a day during pregnancy.

Rainbow Salad is a salad made up of all the colors of the rainbow. Greens, tomatoes, blueberries, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and any other fresh vegetables and fruits that you like. This will give you lots of good fiber which will keep the bowels moving well (pooping regularly), which helps to move toxins out of your body so that baby has the best environment possible for growing and developing.

As Aussiemidwife suggested, you can even add tinned salmon with bones, seeds and nuts to your salad. If you use dark green leafy vegetables as your salad base, and the other things mentioned from Aussiemidwife, you'd have a very healthy salad full of good calcium for you and baby!

Raw honey can be beneficial for the skin if you rub it on the skin, but I wouldn't do this on a child under the age of one, as they tend to want to put their hands/feet/arms/legs in their mouths and infants under the age of one should not have raw honey.