How did you get your toddler off the dummy?

I've received some great advice so far on this site thanks! My toddler is almost 2 1/2 and I know it's way past time to wean her off the dummy yet it breaks my heart when she cries for it. What is the best way to say goodbye to the dummy? Thanks for your advise.

I tried all sorts of things to help my son get rid of his dummy when he was the exact same age. I threw out all but one, tried only to let him have them at nap or night time, I even poked a hole in it so it lost suction (I heard they will lose interest and give it up on their own -- but not my son). The only thing that finally worked was when we lost the very last one. We all searched the house for it my husband and I, as well as he and his brother. No one could find it. I explained that it was gone and that he was such a big boy I knew he's be able to go to sleep without. He woke up a few times missing it but went right back to sleep. When he woke up in the morning we all made a huge fuss over him and how great he did without his dummy! The first two days were hard but he didn't cry about it he just kept asking me where it was and I'd remind him that we lost it but he didn't need it anymore, which - I reminded him - was VERY exciting!

It's not an easy thing but remember it's not the end of the world if she uses it for a bit longer. Have you tried just letting her have it just for sleeping? That might be a good way to trasition her way from it. Then going without it all together might not be so difficult.

Good Luck!

One mother told me that she tied the dummy to the crib and only let her child have it when he went to bed or (in his case) when he wanted it bad enough to just stand by the bed and suck. After awhile he simply wasn't interested anymore because playing was much more fun than standing next to his bed. I'm guessing you'd have to put a pretty short string or ribbon on it in order for it to not be a choking hazzard.

Other than that, I don't have any experience with weaning a child off of a dummy - mine simply gave it up around 5 months of age (but I didn't use it much, so that made it easier).

Warm regards,

Kate