Question Caffeine During Pregnancy

Hi,

I am quite curious about the importance of avoiding caffeine during pregnancy. I have read articles regarding this matter. As we all know, caffeine is not good for the baby as well as the mother since it has effects on the fetus. One example is a small birth weight. Aside from this, what other side effects can caffeine cause on the baby? Can it cause congenital defects too?

From what I understand, studies on caffeine consumption and congenital defects have been inconclusive. This could mean that some studies show a definite link while others don't and in that case, I'd err on the side of caution and simply avoid it during pre-conception, pregnancy and even breastfeeding.

Caffeine is known to cross the placenta and because we know that the substance acts as a stimulant drug, I would definitely avoid drinking beverages that have it. The occasional piece of dark chocolate is probably fine, but in general I suggest that women who are trying to conceive avoid caffeine as studies have shown that it can decrease fertility up to 50%.

Hi Charibelle_925, there are studies that show women who consume 200 milligrams or more of caffeine a day — the amount in 10 ounces of coffee or 25 ounces of tea — may double their risk of miscarriage (American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology). I think if you could avoid this for at least the first trimester when miscarriage rates are higher, then that would be a good thing! You can choose to switch to decaf, but you also need to do this with caution as many decaf coffees can be worse for you than regular coffee as chemicals are used in the decaffeination process (opt for chemical free, Swiss water filtered varieties). Many pregnant women find that they don't have a desire for tea and coffee in the first trimester anyhow

Thank you Kate and Briwony! So, in general, caffeine must really be avoided during pregnancy as well as breastfeeding. I am a breastfeeding mum and once in a while I drink coffee and tea. I also love to eat chocolates. I think I should lessen my intake or at least do my best to avoid these. When I take in such drinks/chocolate, is there a possibility that there would be an effect to my baby whenever she is breastfed? Will she be hyperactive or will she have difficulty in sleeping?

Thanks!

Most babies react fine to mothers who drink light and even modern amounts of caffeine during breastfeeding, especially as the baby gets older. From what I understand, babies under six months are the ones who are most likely to be sensitive to the low levels of caffeine that my be present in breast milk, particularly if their mother gave up all caffeine during pregnancy. Babies who are sensitive to caffeine may be fussy, irritable, and have a difficult time sleeping as Pinky McKay points out in her article, "Sweet Dreams – Pinky's top tips to help your baby (and you!) sleep better".

Now I know why my baby acts irritable and has difficulty in sleeping. Thanks mom2many. Since I eat chocolates almost everyday, I think I should at least lessen it for my baby's sake.

With regards to her sleeping pattern, she is a light sleeper, most especially during day time. I think that the link you gave me would be a great help. Thank you!

Hi!

Since I love drinking green tea because of its health benefits, I would also like to know if Green Tea Frappuccino (from Starbucks) also considered to have caffeine in it? Some green tea preparations are in powder form. Are these similar to green tea on a tea bag? Does it also contain caffeine?

Thank you!

I'm not familiar with the Green Tea Frappuccino, but I would assume that any green tea (unless otherwise specified) has caffeine, even a powdered form.

Thanks Kate! I minimized drinking such tea since I have learned that there is a caffeine content in it. Though I love it, I should consider my baby's health first.