Gestational Diabetes

Hi ladies. I'm hoping someone has some advice or similar experience with gestational diabetes.

The diet I was given had more carbohydrates in it than I would usually eat! What does your gestational diabetes diet look like? What are your readings like? I've heard vitamin D suppliments help....has anyone tried this?

Hi countrymum.
    My first pregnancy I was diagnosed with Gestational diabetes and the diet was actually really carb heavy. They wanted me to eat 8-10 serves of carbohydrates a day. The advice was of course complex carbohydrates but ten serves a day is ALOT. I wouldnt have eaten that much before I got pregant. The diet example was
    Breakfast: two peices of wholegrain bread and a glass of milk (=3 serve carbs)
    Snack: peice fruit and cracker (=2 serves carbs)
    Lunch: two peices of whole grain bread, a salad, a serve of protien and a glass of milk (=3 serves carbs)
    Snack: Yoghurt
    Dinner: Serve of protien, two serves of carbs and vegetables.

I couldnt eat that many carbs even before I got pregnant and the dietician was really pushing me to eat more carbs which I simply didnt understand. In the end I did what worked best for me and managed perfectly with a perfectly healthy baby.

My second pregnancy I was Vit D deficiant beforehand and was taking suppliments the whole way through the pregnancy. I was already eating very carefully and testing my BSL all the way through my pregnancy but I didnt have a single high reading until 38 weeks even then I only came in at 7.1 so while slightly high it didnt qualify me for a GD diagnosis. After my daughter was born I heard that there was a link between vitamin D and gestational diabetes so I am really curious about these studies - thanks for the link! It's really something for me to think about for when we get pregnant again and I was hoping there might be others who have had similar experiences.