Trying for a baby! need some advice!

Hi there,

Never used a site like this before but needed some advice so I thought I'd give it a go 😊

My fiance and I are trying for a baby, although we arnt actively trying everyday - I try and pin point when the best time to have sex is.. we only have sex about once a week as he has just got a new job with crazy hours.

I have a 30 day cycle & this month on day 14 we had intercourse.. The on day 16, I had a horrible pain in my left ovary, followed by a tiny drip of blood on the toilet paper when I wiped (I researched this and apparently it's called ovulation bleeding but I've never had it before in my life) it's now day 25 and I'm extremely tired. Yesterday I napped all day aswell and was very out of it. It was my brothers birthday on the weekend, I had two wines.. and I woke up the next morning extremely nauseous.. and I'm not an easy drunk so this was a bit strange.

Just wondering if anyone has a similar cycle to me and ended up pregnant.. I feel a bit funny and seem to be having heaps of hot flushes but I don't know if it's all in my head!

Thanks 😊😊

Dear monique,

Welcome to our forum! We are pleased to have you join us here.

Thank you for your post. If you do experience any further pain in your ovary which concerns you then I would see your doctor.

In terms of determining when is best to have sex when you are trying to conceive, many couples on this forum find ovulation tracking kits helpful.

One of our moderators, Kate, has written a very informative post about the signs of fertility. Kate writes:

'The day before and the day of ovulation, your cervical mucus will be clear and wet and it will have the consistency of egg white. You will be able to pick it up and stretch it between your thumb and fore finger and it may not break even if you stretch it 6 inches. This is when you are at your peak of fertility and sex at this time gives you the best chance of conception.'

Most women ovulate 14 days before the start of the next cycle. This would be around day 16 for you. However, sperm can live in a woman's body for up to 3-5 days so it would certainly be possible for you to conceive on day 16 if you had sex on day 14 of your cycle.

Being very tired is an indicator of early pregnancy, as is feeling sick.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning this, but the recommended advice is not to drink alcohol when you are trying for a baby or pregnant (because if you are trying for a baby then you may be pregnant without yet knowing it). It's also best to start taking your folic acid supplements when you are trying to conceive. This protects against neural tube defects in the baby (the spinal cord is formed in the baby quite early in pregnancy).

Wishing you all the best with conceiving.

Please keep us informed and let us know if we can answer any further questions.

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 4th February 2014 at 06:08 AM.