Increasing breast milk supply

I received this question today and thought I'd post my answer here for everyone to benefit from.

Question:
    I have a one month old baby. My problem is that I do not much breast milk. There are just drops of milk which come out when I use a pump. My baby does not like to feed on my breast. What i do now????? I am very worried... please help me. I am using formula milk in feeder to nourish her... I've used all the tips I know to increase the quantity but i get no benefit. Please, please help me.

Answer:
    I would recommend that you start taking some herbs to increase your milk supply.

Here's an excellent article on increasing milk supply.

And here's a page full of other useful information on breastfeeding.

Not only do you need to take some herbs or medication or hormones to increase your milk supply, but you will also need to be sure that baby is suckling at the breast very often. The more baby suckles the more he will stimulate your milk supply. This may be difficult if baby is getting most of his milk from a bottle. But I would encourage you to put baby to the breast anytime he wants to suck - even if you don't have much milk. Don't use a pacifier - let baby suck at the breast, not on something else. This will stimulate and help increase milk supply.

You may also need to start using a lactation aid instead of feeding by bottle. This may be more important than anything else you could do. The more baby can suckle at the breast, the better your chance of increasing your milk supply. Here's a video showing the use of a lactation aid.

You'll also want to have baby positioned at the breast so that she's stimulating the breast well. Here are lots of videos showing you how to position baby on the breast properly.

You need to be sure that you are drinking plenty of pure water every day (will help with milk production) - even as much as 2 times your body weight in milliliters. If you weigh 63 kg, you would need to drink 2 liters of water a day. You may even need more water once you start producing more milk.

The milk for your baby will have a very high water content so drink pure water and herbal teas which are good for milk production whenever you are thirsty. Sometimes you can find a "mother's milk" tea at the store. Fenugreek is very good for increasing milk supply too.

You'll also need to be sure you're getting a lot of good nourishment for yourself. You may need a high quality vitamin/mineral supplement. You need to reduce sugar intake and increase your fresh fruits and vegetable intake, along with eating high quality protein like organic eggs, meat, poultry and fish. If you're feeding your body well, your body will be able to produce the milk needed to feed your baby. The quality of your milk can also vary. It can be low quality milk or high quality milk. The higher the quality of your milk, the healthier your baby will be.

Make yourself a priority - get plenty of rest, and reduce stress. High stress can also contribute to low milk production. If baby is fussy and keeping you from getting rest, take a look at this page which has a lot of good little videos to show you some different tricks you can do to calm a crying baby.

Hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi! I agree with Kate, If I may add to that, I heard that Fenugreek would help boost your breastmilk supply.
    "Those who don't believe in love at first sight have not given birth." ♥ Hidden Content

Administrator
    I'd suggest seeing a lactation consultant? They can assess your breastfeeding and your supply and offer tips to help. There are lots of ways of increasing breastmilk supply - I find that increasing the amount of milk removed from the breast will stimulate more supply as the first thing to do. I would offer the baby the breast to get them to suck as much as they are willing (do not force them). Following each day time breastfeed I would express using an good quality breast pump such as the Ameda Hospital Grade pump (you can usually hire these). I would choose a double pump kit as they are more effective at increasing breastmilk supply. I'd watch this video on expressing using both the electric pump kit and hand expressing - which is the most effective way of expressing.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content