Hi everyone,

The first time I became pregnant I read that it is good to wait to announce the pregnancy until 12 weeks gestation (i.e. after you have had the dating scan and when the highest risk of miscarriage has passed). Myself and my husband took this to heart and were planning on announcing our first pregnancy to everyone (including family and close friends) at 12 weeks. However, we sadly went through a miscarriage at around 7 weeks and ended up needing to tell our family and friends what was happening: we wanted to do this and we needed their support.

After this had happened, we wished we had told our closest friends straight away so that we could have had their support at the very start of the pregnancy. I understand why it may be best to wait until 12 weeks until you tell everyone but after our experience I am of the opinion that it is good to talk (to those we trust and love) about early pregnancy. I also feel that miscarriages are not often talked about enough - although I know only too well how painful it can be to talk about this topic.

When we became pregnant with our son we told those close to us straight away and were pleased to have their support and understanding. We then officially announced our pregnancy after that dating scan.

What did you do? Did you change this with later pregnancies?

LJ