Natural Cold and Flu Remedies

Hello All,

Recently my entire family has come down with the flu. I nursed my three older children back to health for the first week and the baby and I remained totally fine. Then this week the baby and I came down with it. I have actually come down with two different strains of the flu at the same time, though my little ones all have or had strain A only. I have been sick for nearly a week already and I am completely and totally miserable. I have tried everything I can think of so now I am reaching out to the community for some natural remedies. I realize that I am not going to be able to cure the flu, but I need something to comfort me a bit.

I am particularly interested in natural remedies that are safe for breastfeeding mums, as I am still breastfeeding my 13 month old quite often. She has the flu too, as I said, but she is doing pretty well. I assume the breastfeeding antibodies helped her to acquire only a mild version. I am really the only one who is really feeling it and I am REALLY feeling yuck.

Hi Mom2many,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've got such a bad flu. I remember having a bad flu and a nursing baby - no fun.

So here's what I would suggest.

Lots of rest - this is crucial for your to kick this thing and get better as soon as possible.

Lots of pure water - again, crucial, as you need to keep toxins flushing out of your system so that your body can work on overcoming the viruses.

Boiron Oscillococcinum Homeopathic Flu Medicine - This is a homeopathic remedy that can't harm baby (in fact it will probably help her) and won't harm you if it's the wrong remedy (probably is the right remedy if you have the flu). It relieves body aches, chills and fever. My local vitamin store has this, and though I've never used this particular remedy (I do use others) I've heard others say how wonderfully it works for them.

Colostrum - can be taken in capsule form, liquid form, or powdered form that you can mix into unsweetened applesauce or yogurt. Most local vitamin stores should have some in stock, or you can find it online. You'll want to take a therapeutic dose.

No sugar, and try to limit your juice (drinking juice is fine in order to keep your fluids up, but try to cut it with water - 1/2 water, 1/2 juice).

Homemade vegetable soup is nourishing and yet easy on the digestive tract. You may not feel like eating much at all, if you have fever. Mashed avocado on sprouted wheat toast or lightly steamed vegetables might taste good. If your blood type is O, you will have higher stomach acid than those with other blood types, and this makes it easier for you to digest meat. A meat patty might taste good if you have blood type O. Little bits of chicken are good for blood type A.

If you need something for cough, see the thread entitled Natural Remedies For Cold And Cough.

You may also want to try a probiotic blend like acidophilus, bifidus, etc.

I hope this gives you some ideas, and more than anything, I hope that something helps you to feel better really soon.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thank you Kate! I am going to our local healthfood center now to pick up a few things, I will try anything at this point. I cannot believe how sick I am after a week =(.

Administrator
    Get better soon - sorry to hear you are sick.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content