I have been reading an article written for abc News entitled 'Breastfeeding: Balanced Idealism with Realism'.

I suppose that it's clear from the title that it is not going to be totally pro-breastfeeding but after reading this article it made me feel sad. How does it make you feel?

I really believe that exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and then continued breastfeeding beyond this is the best start in life a baby can have. This doesn't mean I don't understand the struggles and difficulties breastfeeding can bring - I have known these myself only too well. The article brought back to me something my health visitor said when she visited me at home with my 3 week old baby. She said that, whilst exclusive breastfeeding is great, in today's society with the other pressures and needs we have it doesn't really work (to exclusively breastfeed) and giving a baby a couple of bottles of formula day doesn't make any difference.

I'm glad I didn't listen to her and sought advice from a Lactation Consultant which enabled me and my baby to establish breastfeeding. I wish I had experienced better support from my health visitor. I know breastfeeding isn't always easy and doesn't always even feel natural at first but it was made to provide a baby with what they need in their early life. Is this being idealistic, as the article suggests? I hope not.