Hybrid View

Smile What happens if you eat something you shouldn't?

Hi there,

I have a question which I think is really silly but it's been playing on my mind so I figured it's worth the embarrassment.

I know there are foods to avoid when pregnant to reduce risk of listeria and other possible diseases but I was wondering if I ate something on that list if I've automatically done my baby undue harm? I'm 23 wks and everything has been great so far: ultrasounds are all normal and the baby is healthy and very active. I'm not unwell nor do I feel sick but I'm concerned that eating a toasted chicken schnitzel sandwich will immediately hurt the baby.

Thanks for answering my silly question!

Hi MFlory83, there's no such thing as a silly question here Listeria infection isn't common during pregnancy and usually you would experience some flu type symptoms. If you are really concerned then have a chat to your midwife or doctor as there are blood tests that can be done. A lot of women eat something during their pregnancy that they aren't aware at the time they shouldn't have eaten, with no adverse side effects. Just avoid any chicken from now on that's not freshly cooked just to be sure.

I agree with Briony - please try not to worry as eating this will certainly not automatically cause harm to your baby. This is particularly the case as you are not feeling unwell. But if you are still feeling concerned then make an appointment with your doctor so that they can reassure you.

I agree with the others. Listeria infections in pregnancy are extremely rare. While it is important to follow the food restrictions, do not let them worry you too much. Just about everyone has eaten something during pregnancy that they should not have.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!