Hybrid View

Breastfeeding ready

I was frustrated that I did not get to breastfeed my daughter even for 6 months. When I was still pregnant, I concentrated more on keeping her inside of me ( I had placenta previa totallis and gestational diabetes) that I completely forgotten about what I'll do when the baby arrives.

How do you prepare yourself for breastfeeding? Are there necessary aids in breastfeeding that a first-time mum need to have?

I want to properly educate and equip myself, hubby and I are contemplating about having our next baby this year or early next year.

Cheers!
    Rose

Dear Rose,

I'm sorry to hear you had problems breastfeeding your daughter. I can completely understand your concerns during pregnancy - you should not feel guilty that you didn't feel prepared for breastfeeding. In fact, I think it is difficult to prepare for breastfeeding when you have never experienced it before. For me, I thought it would be something that would come naturally but this unfortunately wasn't the case as my baby had a tongue tie.

I would recommend finding your nearest Lactation Consultant and making contact with them before the next baby arrives. It was only with the professional help of a Lactation Consultant that I managed to successfully breastfeed my baby. Knowing that you can contact such a professional is so helpful (especially if you are struggling to feed in the middle of the night).

Keep asking for help and advice (for example, from your midwives or local breastfeeding support group). These people are there to help you and you shouldn't worry about needing lots of help. After all, breastfeeding is a new skill for mum and baby to learn and it takes time. There are also some breastfeeding articles here which you may find helpful. Of course, this forum also exists to help support breastfeeding mums so you can ask away here once the time comes.

There is a recent thread here about breastfeeding equipment that mums have found helpful. I found a breastfeeding pillow particularly helpful to get a good position to enable my son to latch on.

I think it's great that you are already thinking about how to prepare for breastfeeding. Please let us know if we can help support you further.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thank you for the response LJ! I also thought that it would come naturally for me and my daughter, that all I have to do is give her the breast and she will latch easily. But after hours of crying (both of us!) I just gave up. I will surely talk with a Lactation Consultant the next time around, I also have an inverted nipple that made it harder for may baby to latch on. And since my baby was not breastfed, it made me a little insecure when I'm with my other friends who are exclusively breastfeeding their babies.

A friend of mine told me something about re-lactation. But it was too late for us to try it then because my daughter was already 8 months when I learned about it.

I would definitely need lots of advice and support, I'm glad to have come across this forum.

Thanks
    Rose

Dear Rose,

You're very welcome! There's also a recent thread here about methods to help with breastfeeding when you have flat or inverted nipples which you may find useful.

Best wishes,

LJ

Great question and great Advice, LJ. Thanks for sharing! Rose, be sure to read the links LJ gave you - lots of good info to make the breastfeeding experience go as well as possible.

Kate