Diabetes during pregnancy

I had Gestational Diabetes when I was still pregnant on my first child. My endocrinologist prescribed taking insulin shots twice a day to control my high sugar level. After I gave birth, my sugar levels returned to normal.

Has any of you also experienced developing Gestational Diabetes while pregnant? What is the probability of it recurring in a 2nd pregnancy?

Thanks
    Rose

Hi Rose,

I have not had Gestational Diabetes but a good friend of mine has. We have read a lot about this together and unfortunately there is a higher chance of developing it in subsequent pregnancies if you have experienced it before. Did you need to take insulin? If you did then I understand the chance of it reoccurring (in subsequent pregnancies) is 75%. If you didn't need to take insulin then this probability is significantly reduced. Your blood glucose levels will be monitored to keep a check on this.

Take care,

LJ

Hello LJ,

I did have insulin shots when I was pregnant on my last trimester. This is the reason why I'm trying my best to lose more weight now. Having PCOS makes losing weight a real challenge for me even if I do not eat a lot. My metabolism is really slow.

My endocrinologist actually told me to be ready physically before trying to conceive again, meaning I need to maintain my ideal weight. I really don't want to go through that horror again.

I'm sorry you had such difficulties with your last pregnancy.

Yes, I think it's always good to do some pre-conception care, and I guess this is even more the case if you have experienced problems in a previous pregnancy. There is an article here about other things you can do to prepare your body before you conceive.

Best wishes,

LJ