Hybrid View

10 ways to prevent infections in pregnancy

I came across this resource today produced by the centres for disease control and prevention that lists ten things every woman can do to help reduce the chance of infection during pregnancy. I thought I'd share it here as I find this type of information helpful.

Most of the list I had already heard of (e.g. washing your hands, not touching cat litter, avoiding certain foods) but I was surprised to read this:

"Try not to share forks, cups, and food with young children. Wash your hands often when around children. Their saliva and urine might contain a virus. It is likely harmless to them, but it can be dangerous for you and your unborn baby." CDC

I do share cutlery with my toddler but apparently there is a risk of contracting a virus called CMV by doing this. Does anyone know any more about this and how great a risk this is?

LJ ~ I agree knew about all the things on that list, well I didn't now about the Strep B until I had that test done while I was pregnant. I think they tested me twice now that I think about it midway and then later closer to giving birth. I however never heard about CMV and not sharing cutlery. I thought the worst that could happen was getting a runny nose or something I guess it's good to avoid doing that just in case.

I didn't have a Strep B test carried out during my last pregnancy - do you know if this is routine?

Yes I agree DoubleSunshine: don't want to take any risks!

I was told it was routine but it may not be that way everywhere. I think they are usually done close to giving birth and I had one done at around 25 weeks when I had a threat of preterm labour and was placed on bed rest and then they did another one closer to my actual due date. I believe that it was just a simple swab test similar to a pap.