Thread: Hair dyes

Hair dyes

Hi!
    I dye my hair roots about every 6 weeks, only to cover up the grey. My hair is naturally jet black. While trying to get pregnant is it more wise to not dye my hair?
    Thanks
    Cheryl

Hiya,

There is inconclusive research out there into if and how hair dye may affect women in pregnancy. You could use a natural dye like henna inside whilst you are trying to conceive and during pregnancy - just to be on the safe side. Also, it's good to dye your hair in a well-ventilated room and to wear disposable gloves to avoid the dye getting on your skin.

I hope this helps.

Hi Cheryl,

Premature greying is sometimes caused by a lack of copper in the body and can often be reversed by taking a copper supplement.

When trying to conceive you want to avoid as many chemicals as you possibly can. We come in contact with chemicals through our food, our water, our environment (think of how many times your skin comes in contact with plastic or we breath fumes from gasoline or ant spray, etc.). The skin absorbs nutrients and chemicals, so if you're putting chemicals directly on your scalp, they are entering your blood stream and this will put stress on your liver. If your liver is already stressed (and most of people's are) then it makes it harder for the body to produce reproductive hormones in that proper amounts... which can make it harder to conceive.

Also, the chemicals can affect egg and sperm quality, and if egg or sperm are not high quality this can cause early miscarriage, birth defects, or even an inabilty to conceive.

Consider wearing a copper bracelet or taking copper citrate to help naturally reverse the greying so that you don't have to die your hair anymore :-) It's a good thing.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Cheryl,

Well for me as long as you are not yet pregnant then I think it's still safe to dye your hair. But when you are pregnant already, especially if you are in the first trimester, you must not dye your hair. The first trimester is the most critical period of development of the fetus, and the chemicals from the hair dye may harm the normal development of your baby. As for me I wanted to dye my hair when I was still pregnant, so I did color my hair at around 5months already.