How to successfully Potty Train

Hello Everyone,

I am very eager to start potty training my 18 month old, but I have no idea where to start. How do I know if my love is ready to potty train? Are there any signs that I should look for?

I've also heard I should switch to pull ups for this process. Is this true? Being a first time mom, I have so many questions and would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks All,
    Fran

Hi Fran,

All children are different and potty training readiness can vary. Here is a great article that I read here on Pregnancy Birth and Beyond How to Toilet Train in Just One Day I tried to potty train my boys when they were 2 years old. It became obvious very quickly that they weren't ready and all of us were just getting frustrated, so I waited until they were 3. It took about a week to get them totally out of diapers. I didn't use pull-ups during the day because I felt that they wouldn't be able to tell when they were wet. It was messy for a while but I think it helped.

Some readiness signs to look for are:

1. They can tell you when they have to go poop or pee

2. They have regular bowel movements (you can predict when they will probably go)

3. No bowel movements at night.

4. Can dress and undress themselves (at least their pants)

Good Luck!

The best advice I can give is to wait until your child is ready. I was so excited to toilet train my first child that I started early, and it was overwhelming (for both of us). He was not ready, so I had to learn to back off for a bit and give him more time. We have tried pullups, but I have found that my children use them just like diapers. We just switched over to regular underwear when we finally started toilet training. They did have accidents, but regular underwear seemed to work better for us. Each child is really different, so what works for one child may not work for another.

The readiness signs above are all good to look for before you start toilet training. We have tried to wait until our child is staying dry for longer periods of time, can tell us when he or she goes, and when the child is showing an interest in the toilet. We found sticker charts worked well for one of our children. She loved picking out stickers and being able to put a new one on her chart every time she used the toilet. I also want to mention that my oldest toilet trained on his own a month or two before his third birthday. I gave him time and he finally decided one day that he just wanted to use the toilet. My oldest daughter did not toilet train until after the age of three. She refused to use the toilet, so we did not try to push it like we had with our first. What finally worked for her was using sticker charts. Good luck and please feel free to ask any questions you have.

If you'd like to learn when other mums potty trained their children there's a good thread on the forum called "When did you potty train your child?"

I agree with Jessica and DoubleSunshine. Sometimes later can be better, and you want to be absolutely sure that your child is ready before even thinking about trying.

Nappies can actually be freeing for you, because you're not having to clean up accidents all the time. When you do potty train, then you'll be wiping her bottom and when you're out you'll have to run around trying to find a potty for her to use. So embrace the nappy time and let her show you when she's ready.

It can be helpful to read a book, and How to Toilet Train in Just One Day is a good one. I read it and used it with my first, and it worked! But my daughter was just over 3 when we did it.