Roseola Infantum

Hi there!
    How can you initially differentiate the manifestation of dengue from roseola infantum?

My oldest son had high fever on and off then suddenly rashes started coming out on his face and arms.
    At first, I thought it was dengue because that is the usual symptoms and we have to get him to the hospital when rashes started.
    The doctor ordered some lab works but it was negative and found out that it is roseola infantum.

Can anyone give me some inputs how to deal with it? And help me see and differentiate it.

I don't want to be over-reacting for my 1-year old son as what I did for my 2-year old. Although at times or should I say most of the time, mothers can't help it.

Because, kids are different from each other, right?

Hi,

I think it is perfectly reasonable to take your child to the hospital to have tests to confirm what the cause of their symptoms are. I wouldn't worry about over-reacting in this sense. It's better to be totally sure. I agree with you: it's the way us mums are!

My understanding is that Dengue fever and Roseola do have some common symptoms - another reason why I would take your child to the hospital if they ever display such symptoms. With both the patient gets a very high temperature and a rash. However, if the rash starts on the face it is more likely to be Roseola (you can get a rash on the face with Dengue fever but it tends to start on the trunk of the body). Also, with Roseola the rash looks like fine, pink spots.

With children who are suffering from Dengue fever they may only exhibit a rash and a high temperature (and not the adult symptoms such as diarrhoea and joint pain). As Dengue fever can be so serious I would get any child checked out urgently who displays these symptoms and has been in a Dengue fever infected area.

I hope this helps. As I said before, I'm not a doctor and it's always best to consult with a doctor when you are worried about your child. However, I have worked in the health profession for 5 years and so this is my experience.

Best wishes,

LJ

I found that my children actually had Roseola at the same age (not at the same time, but at the same age). Roseola usually affects children between the ages of 6 months and 2 years (I think that both of my first two children had Roseola around 9 months of age and I don't think the other three got it).

This page has some good information on Roseola.

Laura-Jane definitely gave some good advice. Being that I don't live in an area where Dengue Fever is prevalent, I haven't personally experienced it with any of my children. Always better to be safe than sorry, and if a few tests would rule it out I'd probably opt for the tests.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply.

Just a follow-up question, is there something we can do about the rashes? I remember not putting any cream on him (my oldest son) but can I? or even just a baby powder? I can't help it but my husband suggests not to put anything.

Unlike many other rashes that children get, the rash associated with Roseola is not itchy. It just looks like it would bother the child, but it really doesn't so no need to put anything on it. I'd suggest avoiding powders or creams on the skin because the skin absorbs the toxins in these substances and it could make it harder on the immune system to fight the disease. If your child's skin needs a moisturizer you can use olive oil or almond oil or even coconut oil. If the child's skin needs powder (like if you want to put powder on their bottom after a diaper change) using a pure substance like corn starch or arrow root powder works well.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep it in mind.

In regards with powder, I buy the commercial baby powder and I just put some cornstarch in it. Usually, when you buy a bottle of powder it is just half-filled so I buy cornstarch and mix them together.

What a clever idea! I hadn't thought of mixing the two but that helps to make it stretch!

Thanks!

It is really nice to have this kind of forum, wherein we mums can exchange ideas and suggestions.

So glad you are finding the forum helpful! I think it's great having the support on here and, as you say, sharing our experiences.

Hello there!

well this forum is very helpful for mums out there...

Keep it up.