Hybrid View

Camping with Kids

When I was a child my family and I went camping every summer. I have some of my very best childhood memories from those trips. I also felt more free and connected with nature than I ever have in my life. As I got older I really didn't have the desire to go camping anymore. My husband and I would go for a night or two here and there but not very often. Once we had the boys we decided that we would wait until they were older to take them. They will be 5 soon and I think we are at the point where we will all have a great time and really enjoy ourselves -- plus, I know the boys will LOVE it.

Since I am very out of practice and have never gone camping with kids I am very interested in the advice of all of you who have taken your children camping. We will be tent camping. What are some of your best tips? What are some of your favorite and easy meals to take and prepare? What are some of the activites your children enjoy most? Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Ladies

~Christie

Hi Christie,

Your post made me smile as my friend has recently asked us to go camping this Summer with her family. However, I am not sure I am brave enough to do this with a 1 year old whilst being pregnant!

That's great that you have such happy childhood memories of camping. I guess it is a special thing to do together as a family. I'm sure your boys will have a great time.

Here are some of my (camping experienced) friend's tips on camping with little ones (I can take no credit for these!):

-make sure you have plenty of torches (with batteries!). A head torch is also useful when your hands are full.

-consider the facilities of the campsite you want to book e.g. how many toilets and showers

-take an extra big tent (e.g. a 5 or 6 man tent if you are 4 people) - you will probably have lots of extra clothes and games etc for your kids

-airbeds are a comfortable and convenient way to sleep

-take plenty of mosquito/bug repellent

I'll be interested to read everyone else's tips!

LJ -- I don't blame you for not wanting to venture out camping just yet. It's taking me 5 years to work up the nerve to take my boys Thanks so much for that helpful information. We do need a bigger tent for sure! The one we have is supposed to be a four person tent BUT we could really only fit the queen sized air mattress, my husband and I and our dog -- no way we'll be able to squeeze the boys in there too.

I really support these kind of activities for child because just studying is not a proper life for children they need to enjoy the life see new things taste new things and do these kind of thrilling things to taste the nature this will help them to grow better and live well, i'm just going with my kids on camping next week, i'm packing my tents for camping. My kids really enjoy going to these new places.

Bartending School
    Last edited by ElizaSeyler; 25th November 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Thank you for sharing this Eliza.

Your words reminded me of this quote I recently read:

'Children learn best through their everyday experiences with the people they love and trust, and when the learning is fun. And the best place for these experiences is outdoors, in the natural world.'

Center for Families, Communities, Schools and Children’s Learning.