Can I have a normal delivery? had history hyperthyroidism and scoliosis

Hello Everyone,

I used to have hyperthyroidism four years ago, It took me one year taking medications. I was also diagnosed to have a scoliosis(mild degree) during my days in college.

I am planning to get married next year and I am concerned if these conditions will have a significant effect in my pregnancy and childbirth? Is it still possible for me to have a normal delivery? I want to know if I need special precautions during my pregnancy for my future child's health sake and mine as well.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Hyperthyrodism can actually make it very difficult to conceive. Here's an excellent article that explains how poor thyroid function can impact your fertility so take a look at that to learn what thyroid tests to have done, and what your thyroid levels should be for optimum fertility. More and more research is showing that the TSH level should be somewhere between 1 and 2.5 to give you the best chance of getting pregnant.

As for pregnancy, if the baby doesn't get enough TSH in the first half of your pregnancy studies have shown that those babies can have some degree of brain damage. This might show up as having learning difficulties, hearing difficulties, etc. Here's an excellent article that talks about whether pregnant and breastfeeding women should take iodine supplements. I'm not sure if this applies to an overactive thyroid, but the information is definitely worth reading.

It is absolutely possible for you to have a normal delivery. But it's really good that you're starting to gather information about how thyroid function affects conception, pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding. If you have any questions about which medications are best to take while trying to conceive or during pregnancy and breastfeeding, feel free to post back. And, of course, please post back with your thoughts after you read the articles referenced here.

You'll want to be working on increasing your fertility now, before your marriage, so that when you're ready to start your family you'll be able to conceive quickly, with a healthy baby.

Warm regards,

Kate

Wanted to also mention that mild Scoliosis shouldn't cause much of a problem during pregnancy, but I would definitely see a Chiropractor or Cranio-Sacral Osteopath regularly, starting right now and continuing through your pregnancy. This will help to keep your skeletal system in alignment which will make conception, pregnancy and birth much easier.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thank you so much for the information. I think I have to read more books about hyperthyroidism and pregnancy and see a doctor as well to check my condition.

Jennifer