Thread: Need advice.

Hybrid View

Need advice.

I am 17 days late for my period. i am usually between 2-5 days late. i have been getting cramps on and off. i have had lower back pain. I have been felling sick for the past 3 days and woke up yesterday morning and vomited a few times. I have been feeling bloated for the past week. I have taken 2 at home pregnancy tests and both were negative.

I previously had a miscarriage 2 years ago and am very worried this could be happening again as i had negative results on my tests also. I have been to the doctor but he did not give me another test or a blood test and advised me to wait and come back in another week.

I would just like some one else's opinion who has or known of anyone who has had something similar and has resulted in a positive pregnancy.

Hi Rch808,

It's very difficult to know whether you're pregnant or not, especially if you had a miscarriage 2 years ago and had negative results on those tests too.

Interesting that your doctor didn't order a blood test for you just to put your mind at ease.

I've known of situations where a very faint positive test was seen and then a couple of days later a negative test followed by the start of a late period.

Do you know when you ovulated? Did you take an ovulation test or were you charting your fertility signs which tell you when you're going to ovulate.

Post back with an update and let us know how you're doing and if you have any other information to share that might help us give you more help. Do you normally have regular cycles, and if so, how often are they? (i.e. counting from the first day of bleeding to the next first day of bleeding, how many days are in each cycle).

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi,

I am not a midwife but I wanted to say that I am thinking of you. Can you ask your doctor to do a blood test to check if you are pregnant (or see a different doctor to ask for this) as these are more accurate than urine pregnancy tests? I too have suffered the tragic loss of a miscarriage. I hope you do not have to go through this pain again.

My understanding is that, when someone is having a miscarriage the blood test can still show they are pregnant but the hCG (this is the pregnancy hormone) levels will start rapidly dropping. So if they did this blood test 3 days apart they could see if the hCG level was rising (as with pregnancy) or falling (as in the sad case of a miscarriage).

I think one of the worse things is the waiting when you don't know if you are pregnant or having a miscarriage.

Please let us know how you are getting on. I don't know if this information has helped but just wanted to say I am thinking of you.

LJ

Administrator
    Sorry I've come onto your question late. Have you seen your doctor? How did you go?
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hello, Thank you all for your responses. =)
    My apologies it has taken me this long to reply.

I went back to my doctor, and after a discussion about my previous miscarriage and the complications.
    He decided to give me a referral for and ultrasound , which i have booked in for tomorrow.
    And he still did not send me for a blood test, im not sure why ?
    I still have not gotten my monthly , and am due for my next one any day but no sign of them.

i am usually regular and have never missed a monthly.

Waiting and not knowing is the hardest thing , i cant seem to think of anything else.

Thank you ladies for your responses, it is very comforting knowing there is some where to go and talk to other women who understand what i am going through.
    i will update on how the ultrasound goes. =)

Dear Rch808,

Thinking of you. I hope the day goes quickly for you and you get good news.

We're here if you need us,

LJ

Rch808,

I'm eager to hear what the appointment showed. Please post back when you know something and if you're not pregnant, we'll try to help you figure out what's going on.

Warm Regards,

Kate