Teething Problems

Hello, I am a 45 year old mother and was looking for some advice if someone might just be kind enough to help?

Are there any products you can suggest to help with teething? My little Precious just is miserable. She keeps us up all night and is just miserable and over tired all day. I did not know babies would have such a hard time with teeth erupting. My mother used to rub my gums with wiskey but I was not sure that might hurt Precious. Does anyone have any suggestions that they tried with their baby?

Hi cutiecat,

How old is your daughter? If she is over 6 months then chewing on cold sticks of cucumber might help to relieve the pain. if she is younger than this, then you can buy teething toys you put in the fridge.

One of my friends used an Amber Teething Bracelet (which her baby wore all the time) - he almost never suffered with teething. I'm not sure what the evidence base is like for this but it is meant to give natural soothing properties. I guess it's worth a try!

There's always baby bonjela - this has been a life saver at times in our house. Or for a natural remedy - 1 drop of clove oil in a tablespoon of almond oil: a little rubbed on the gums. However, you have to be careful not to give too much of this as an excess can cause the gums to blister.

LJ

Hi Ljmarsden,
    Thank you for your suggestions to help with teething. Precious is 7 months old, I forgot to mention that, my goodness no sleep will do that to you! I especially like the one with the cucumber and that seems to have done the trick for today. I will use the Bojela at night so she can sleep.
    You are a lifesaver!
    Cutie Cat

No sleep certainly does funny things to my brain!

Glad the teething has settled down today. My little boy got 4 teeth in really quick succession at your daughter's age and then it settled down for a few months. Hopefully your daughter will also have a break from teething soon!

Please post back if you need any more suggestions.

Once again, some great suggestions from Laura-Jane.

There are homeopathic remedies which can also help calm a teething baby. I like the Bojela suggestion for helping her sleep for longer periods of time. Homeopathics can be used in conjunction with other medications/products and it's definitely something I'd try.

Kate