Thread: Pacifiers

Hybrid View

Pacifiers

I am negative to this thing. I never used one on any of my two kids. I do not see the rationale of giving one to my child.
    But some insights ( positive or negative ) will surely be appreciated and I believe would aid mothers to be and even new moms.
    Have a good day to all.

I think it has to be a personal decision for each family and their baby. However, it is important for parents to have all the information about pacifiers before they decide.

If you are breastfeeding, then it is best to not introduce any artificial sucking device (pacifier, bottle, nipple shield etc) until 6-8 weeks: when breastfeeding has been established. Some sources recommend leaving it even longer than this. With a pacifier, this is because there is evidence that a breastfed baby who uses a pacifier will take less breast milk (so get less of the benefits of the breast milk) as they will suck on the pacifier instead of asking for the breast.

Breastfeeding is so much more than just the nutrients it provides to the baby. It also gives the baby comfort and is a wonderful way for mum and baby to bond. If the baby is using a pacifier during times when they would be breastfeeding then these factors are reduced.

There is some evidence that using a pacifier reduces a baby's risk of cot death. Does anyone know any more about this research? This is obviously a huge advantage of pacifiers. However, I wonder if this is true compared to baby's who co-sleep and breastfeed on demand: as this also reduces the risk of cot death?

I have known friends for whom a pacifier has kept their baby calm and relaxed. Other friends have found the baby is not even interested in it - this is more common if you are breastfeeding on demand. It's a decision for each family to make, but do be aware about what it means if you are breastfeeding.

I look forward to reading other mums opinions on this topic.

LJ

In general, I always try to use a pacifier or dummy as little as possible for the reasons LJ stated about.

But I found that there were times when I was so happy that my baby took one. During my 2nd son's circumcision, we were able to be with him, and I allowed him to suck on a dummy while he was circumcised to help keep him calm. That same child needed open heart surgery when he was 2 1/2 months old, and there were times when the sucking helped to calm him - times when I could not breastfeed him.

Many babies need to suck to calm themselves, and if mum can't offer the breast, then a pacifier can help bub. However, you really just need to be sure that you're putting baby to the breast whenever he cries. If he is so full of milk that he just spits it up (this has happened to me often) then a dummy can help baby to calm down and go to sleep.

From one whom, in general, is not a proponent of dummies, I've found that there were times when I was so thankful for them... and because I didn't use them often, I will say that each of my children refused it at about 5 months of age, not wanting to have anything to do with them from that point forward.

Warm Regards,

Kate