Postnatal Depression - One thing that gets you out of it

I have a tendency to get depressed, or I could say that I'm very sensitive to depression. I know I can read a ton of books and articles on how to alleviate the postnatal depression. However, I want to hear ONE thing that has helped you after pregnancy to fight off those blues. Of course you can list more, but just add one thing that has helped you. I'll make sure to keep all these tips in mind, when that time comes for me.

Dear ladyK,

Thank you for your post.

It is really important to understand that the 'baby blues' and postnatal depression are two very different things.

The 'baby blues' are experienced by the majority of new mums. This refers to a time period lasting typically 1-5 days when mum feels down and weepy. It tends to occur when a mum's breastmilk 'comes in' which will be on around day 3 or 4 after birth.

What is different about the baby blues compared to postnatal depression is that the baby blues are short-lived, temporary and mild in comparison with postnatal depression. Postnatal depression is a low mood that a new mum is unable to break out of. Women who suffer from postnatal depression need help and support to cope, manage and treat it. Symptoms include: excessive tiredness, low appetite, not wanting to go out and see people, feeling desperate and feeling sad for long periods of time.

If you feel that you are experiencing the symptoms of postnatal depression at any time then you should talk to those around you and also speak to your midwife or doctor. The different treatment and management options available depend on the severity of your symptoms.

Warm wishes,
    LJ