Administrator

Views on Tetanus Vaccination

One of the questions asked at the Pregnancy and Parenting Network yesterday was "What are peoples' views on tetanus vaccination for when kids are older?"

One response from a non-vaccinating mother was when her son had an injury in the garden that needed stitching she then opted for having a tetanus vaccination at that time. The mother had a particular concern as her home was located on land that used to be a farm.

Another response was that tetanus is very rare and to help reduce the risk a tetanus infection was good cleaning of any wound.

What are your thoughts on Tetanus vaccination? Have you found any good resources on tetanus vaccination?
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hi.

I have my kids a 4 in 1 package that has the Tetanus vaccine. My husband and I decided to give it now rather than be sorry in the future. We never know how and when our kids would get in with their age of being curious about everything. This is just my insights about this. But with the environment we have right now, it is better to be safe than sorry.

We have opted not to give our children the Tetanus vaccine UNLESS there is a high chance that they would be infected. If there were an injury (and this has happened) we would make the decision at that time whether to vaccinate or not.We have opted not to give our children the Tetanus vaccine UNLESS there is a high chance that they would be infected. If there were an injury (and this has happened) we would make the decision at that time whether to vaccinate or not.

It's good to hear that Tetanus is rare. I had forgotten that. I did, however, remember that Tetanus is commonly found in manure, and this is commonly used in gardening/farming.

It's good to hear that Tetanus is rare. I had forgotten that. I did, however, remember that Tetanus is commonly found in manure, and this is commonly used in gardening/farming.