Hybrid View

Question How the pregnancy check up schedule works in this country as I'm new to Australia?

Hi, there
    I'm currently in W13, but I have no idea who should I see and where should I go?

I live in Perth wa, someone told us to see GP, and then get the referral to see O&G?! But My question is do we have to keep seeing GP to get the referral? Or just one time get the referral and the O&G doctor will give us the proper pregnancy check up schedule?

Is there anyone kindly could tell me what to do ?

Thank you

Hi Riz,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your pregnancy!

I've asked Jane to respond to your question as I believe she can give you some good insight on the best way to work yourself into a good prenatal care program in Australia. Jane is the owner of this website and a wonderful midwife.

Please feel free to post any other questions you may have. We have some wonderful, knowledgeable mums here who have had both hospital births and homebirths and I'm sure you'll enjoy getting to know them.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Administrator
    Hi Riz - A General Practitioner (GP) is often the first port of call for a woman deciding on where they would like to have a baby and with whom. You can go to the GP for the referral if you like (you don't have to go back if you don't want to). Or you might like to make contact with a GP to provide medical care to your family. Some GPs are well informed - others are not.

Seeing an obstetrician isn't your only option. Have you considered what type of birth you would like. Would you like to give birth in a birth centre, at home or in a labour ward in a hospital? Your choice will influence who you choose. Perth offers a free community midwifery program - to find out more visit their website. You can find out more about the different health care practitioners who care for pregnant women here. Various hospitals offer different midwifery programs that you can choose from. You can contact your local hospital to see what they provide. You could also choose a private midwife to care for you to give birth at home or in hospital. You can locate your closest midwife in the Find a Practitioner search. Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content