Question Encouraging Your Kids to Join Activites

Hi,

I have a 9-year old son who is very active. Last year, I enrolled him in Taekwondo for him to have something to do during school break. He pursued the sport until he reached the point that he just wanted to stop. I don't know the reason but whenever I ask him if he wants to go back to training, he tells me that he doesn't want it anymore. This school break I enrolled him in swimming classes and it just ended. I am thinking of other activities that he could go into to keep him busy and active. I don't want to be forcing him. What is the best approach for this?

I think that offering a variety of activities and encouraging him to participate without forcing is wonderful. You have given him a good introduction to Taekwondo, and it may be something that he wants to go back to later. But it sounds like he enjoyed his swimming classes and maybe he would enjoy something new. Keep coming up with ideas, maybe show him some videos about what the new skill or sport is, and see what his interest level is. If he seems to have some kind of interest, then try the class.

As you've mentioned before, he's adjusting to having a new baby sister, and possibly having some insecurities about being away from you, so giving him choices now is a great option. If, in the future, you feel that you need to "force" him to stay in a class until it ends, to teach him that it's important to finish something you're started, then that may be for a time when he's feeling more secure. But it sounds like he finished his Taekwondo class so this may not be an issue. Maybe he just needs more "mum" time this year, and less outside activites... unless you hit on something she really wants to do. Just a thought...

What do other mums think?

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate! Well I really do think that he prefers to stay at home with me and with his sister. Though he suggested that he wants to be a part of a kiddie crew at McDonalds. I think that's a good idea since it already came from him with no force needed.

If you look into the kiddie crew at McDonalds let me know how it goes. I've never heard of this before but it sounds interesting!

Hi Kate,

Well the kiddie crew at McDonalds promotes the sense of responsibility in children, enhances their socialization skills, and at the same time they are enjoying what they are doing. Just like the regular employees, the kids are assigned to help customers with their needs and do some cleaning. They are also taught to be polite by greeting customers properly.

Although the activity lasted for only a week per batch, my son enjoyed it. He even made friends with a couple of kids.

This is wonderful news! I'm so glad your son enjoyed it. He is doing very well. Just keep offering opportunities that you feel are good for him, and take his lead in what he wants to do.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi charibelle_925.

That is a nice thing that your son initiated to be part of the kiddie crew. I think my son would love to be part of it but he is only 2 years old. McDonald's kiddie crew will help kids to be more responsible and friendly. I just hope when my kid is old enough to join it's still ongoing.