Willingness in doing household chores

Hi,

My daughter is 11, at her age she's now doing some household chores. What do you think is the best way to teach children on willingly doing the household chores.

Thanks.

Best Regards.

Hi Ghie,

I think it's good to make it a fun activity - like a game. Lots of young children like to copy their parents anyway and are keen to have a little job to do. You could put on some of her favourite music when it is time to do a chore or do it together and play a word game at the same time.

When I was this age, every Saturday morning my siblings and I would have a job to do around the house - but my memories of this are of fun, family times. Then we would have a treat in the afternoon (e.g. going to a special park)! We would also take it in turns to help with the drying up and keeping our bedrooms clean.

I too will be interested to read other mums suggestions.

Hello Ghie,

I start my children on chores when they are 2. At that age, they can fold washcloths, sort some clothes, clear their dishes from the table, set the plates and napkins on the table and more. When you start young, it makes it a lot easier because the children are trained in knowing that they area a valuable contribution to the family. They're also eager to learn at that time, and doing chores just becomes a part of their daily life.

If your daughter is resisting doing her chores quickly and with a good attitude (which it sounds like she is) then you could start by training her and having her work along side you. If she's the oldest child in the house and hasn't done chores on a regular basis in the past, she will most likely be resentful that she is now being asked to do some work around the house, when she used to play.

Think of her as your shadow. You will want her to shadow you while you work together to clean the house and make the meals together. This is valuable training time where you are teaching her new skills, while at the same time, having some good mother/daughter bonding time.

Once she's happily working with you, you can gradually step out at times and ask her to complete a task on her own. When she completes a task be sure to praise her and let her know how much you appreciate her help. This is important in helping to turn a negative attitude into a positive one.

You could also try to find work around the house that she actually enjoys. My 10 year old LOVES to cook and bake. She can read a recipe and create many dishes on her own. But she's also still learning different techniques in the kitchen and I work with her on those. By the time they are 13, they are fully proficient in the kitchen and can make full means for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. But there's training involved. Training takes time, initially, but it frees you up later, when your child can take over some of what you do.

I have 5 children, and mostly I'm a manager. I just manage the household, and do cooking where needed. Our two oldest are in college and one has a job (the other is getting a job) so their involvement in meal prep is minimal now. This means I've had to step in to do more of it. My 13 year old son LOVES to bake, so we have goodies around regularly now, and I find myself doing more of the main meal cooking and training my 10 year old and 7 year old daughters in this (they work along side me as a team).

If it comes down to a situation where your daughter just refuses to do her chores with a good attitude, then you'll need to consider taking away the fun things until she is willing to do her work. No TV, no video games, no playing with friends, etc. until the work is done, and done with a good attitude.
    To give you some ideas of what your daughter is probably capable of doing, my 10 year old daughter's responsibility is cleaning the bathrooms each week, training her younger sister to help clean the bathrooms with her, stripping and making her bed, doing dishes/cleaning kitchen, cleaning floor, some cooking, all the ironing and she also helps with laundry when asked.

My 7 year old daughter is responsible for her part of the bathrooms, folding all laundry, setting the table, unloading the dishwasher and drying/putting away dishes when asked (these are all things my 10 year old did when she was younger).

Hope this gives you some ideas on how to train your daughter to be diligent in her work with a good attitude. In the end it will make it very pleasant for you to have a happy helper in the home.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the great ideas...It's really nice to meet all the mums out there who truly shares their experiences and techniques in dealing with their kids...

Hey Ghie - glad you found some of the suggestions helpful. I look forward to reading more of your posts on this forum.