Hybrid View

morning sickness

Hi,

Being pregnant is a wonderful blessing and what joy it is when you see your baby for the first time. But I had a very difficult first trimester due to morning sickness. Is there any way to avoid experiencing morning sickness?

Cheers,
    Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Unfortunately I don't believe you can avoid suffering with morning sickness in the first place. However, there are some things you can do to lessen it:

-Eat little and often. Keep some try crackers or ginger biscuits with you at all times and start munching on them if you begin to feel sick.
    -Travel sickness bands can help with morning sickness: I believe these work by using acupressure.
    -Try not to get too tired and pace yourself.
    -Some women swear by drinking flat lemonade (you put a metal spoon in a glass of lemonade to help it go flat).
    -Ginger products are also useful to help reduce the sickness.
    -Taking vitamin B6 can also be helpful.

This previous forum thread also has some other natural suggestions for dealing with morning sickness.

There's also a useful article here about Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy.

I can sympathise with you as I too am struggling with morning sickness currently! For most women, it does ease off after the first trimester.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi LJ,

Thanks for such useful information. My first pregnancy was really difficult. I lost a lot of weight and had a lot of fainting spells. Hopefully, these info will help.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

I do hope some of these suggestions help you to manage your morning sickness.

I have also have experienced faintness during pregnancy and this was diagnosed as a problem with my blood sugar levels dropping (at the time of feeling faint). The doctor recommended that I ate something before I actually got out of bed in the morning and also to eat little and often throughout the day. Porridge is good to eat first thing as it slowly releases energy throughout the morning and it is also low in cholesterol. It actually helps to stabilise your blood sugar levels.

Best wishes,

LJ

Excellent information given by Laura-Jane as low blood sugar can cause fainting (it happened to me in my first pregnancy, when they took blood at 12 weeks and I hadn't had anything to eat in the morning).

You may also want to have your Cortisol levels checked to be sure that your Adrenals are functioning optimally. Low adrenal function means the body loses sodium too quickly and low sodium can cause low blood pressure which can also cause fainting. With substantial weight loss I would definitely check your blood pressure and possibly Cortisol levels to be sure that's not the cause of the fainting.

Warm Regards,

Kate