Is watermelon bad for pregnant women?

Hello again,

I remember some people told me not to eat watermelon when I was pregnant. They told me it was bad but didn't actually explain why. Would you know why? Is there any scientific explanation behind this?

Thanks much.
    Ruthd

Hi Ruthd,

Watermelon is safe to eat in pregnancy and it actually has some excellent health benefits: see this article on eating watermelons in pregnancy.

The only time I can think of that they wouldn't be safe to eat is if it had been washed in unclean water.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thanks!

Any food that I should avoid? I heard soft drinks and chocolates are also not good since they will make the fetus fat?

Hi Ruth,

There are certain foods you should avoid in pregnancy because of the risk of getting listeria: this article explains in detail about Safe Eating and Drinking in Pregnancy.

It's good to keep fizzy drinks and chocolate to a minimum - but this is because it is best to eat a healthy, balanced diet in pregnancy.

Best wishes,

LJ

Sodas/soft drinks should be kept to an absolute minimum or avoided altogether not only when you're pregnant but when you're not. They contain high levels of phosphates and phosphates leach calcium from your body.

When you're pregnant and the baby is developing bone, it will take calcium from you. In fact, if you don't have high enough reserves of calcium, the baby will usually develop just fine, but you'll find that your teeth suffer (more dental cavities, losing teeth) because this is one of the first places that show mineral deficiencies.

Of course the sugar in the soft drinks will make you more prone to getting sick and not eating enough healthy foods (it gives you a false sense of being full, when your body actually needs nutrients from other food).

As for watermelon... as Laura-Jane mentioned, it's a wonderful food, high in water and cleansing properties. Really good for the kidneys, bladder, heart, stomach, colon, liver and more! But especially wonderful for the kidneys.

Watermelon is often used as a kidney cleanse, and some people do a 3 day kidney cleanse by just eating watermelon for 3 days during the summer. However, this could pose a problem for the pregnant woman, and I wouldn't recommend any cleanse during pregnancy unless a doctor oversees it.

The reason for this is because anytime we do a cleanse, we dump toxins into our blood stream, and baby will be exposed to these higher levels of toxins for a short time, until they are moved out of the body. We don't want baby to be exposed to higher levels of toxins during development. You even have to be careful with cleansing while breastfeeding because the toxins will enter the milk that baby drinks. But you can do a slow, gentle cleanse while breastfeeding.

So this is what I'd say about watermelon during pregnancy. If your body craves it, eat it because there are wonderful, beneficial properties in watermelon that can help keep your body healthy. Eat it when you want it, but don't eat it if your body isn't calling for it. Listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs.

Please post back with any questions.

Warm Regards,

Kate