Fertility after surgery

I had ovarian cyst surgery four years ago (right ovary removed). I wonder if after having an ovarian cyst surgery, would this affect my chances of having a baby again? I never conceived since then.

Anne

Having one ovary removed can affect your percentages of getting pregnant each month. However, many women have gone on to have children with just one ovary.

Each month an egg is released from only one side or the other. So in your case, if you released an egg from your left ovary in April, you would most likely not release an egg in May because that would normally be the time for the right ovary to release, and you don't have a right ovary. This just means that under normal circumstances, you should be able to conceive every other month.

What's going to be most critical for you to understand to begin with, is how to watch your body's natural fertility signs. There's a good thread on this site that discusses just what to look for so you know if you're ovulating or not, and how to get your baby making sex timing absolutely perfect. The thread is called How To Conceive If You Have Irregular Periods I'm guessing you don't have irregular periods, but the fact that you only have one ovary means that some of the information in that thread should be helpful to you.

The other thing is that I want you to let me know if you have any signs which might indicate that you're hormones are not balanced. If your cycles are not regular, if you're ovulating too early or too late in your cycle, if you get PMS (cramping, tearfulness, bloating, etc.) - anything that might give me a clue as to why you haven't conceived after the surgery. If it's simply getting your timing better, then we're on the right track, and I can help you with that too. If it's more about balancing your body so that you can conceive and not have a miscarriage then we will want to figure that out too.

One thing that can be very helpful in stimulating your ovary and balancing hormones is Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thank you so much Kate for the informative and hopeful explanations on my condition. I feel the greater possibility of having a baby girl soon. I'll check on the Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs; it is interesting to learn about natural methods and procedures.

Sincerely,
    Anne

Anne,

I underwent ovarian surgery in my late teens, but was able to keep my ovaries. I have known several women who lost one ovary but were able to conceive. Your odds are lower, but it can and does happen. Follow Kate's advice, she knows her stuff =). Best of luck!

Hi Anne,

If you'd like to try for a baby girl, there are some things you can do to sway the odds in favor of a girl. Here's a thread that talks about swaying the odds for a boy. If you have specific questions about what to do for a girl feel free to ask.

Warm regards,

Kate

Yes I will. Thank you for your encouragement.