Thread: Pertussis

Hybrid View

Pertussis

Hi everyone!

We were at the hospital for a check-up visit and I have heard someone talking about pertussis. I know it is whooping cough and there is a vaccine for this, but I want to know more details.
    how can you distinguish pertussis from common cold? How can a child get it?

Thanks in advance.

Pertussis is more commonly known as Whooping Cough and in some countries it is a routine vaccination that is offered. However, we opted not to have our children vaccinated with this vaccine because the chance of them getting it, in this day and age, is very low. It's important to know how prevalent the disease is in your area before choosing to vaccinate your child for it.

Here's an excellent page from the National Vaccine Information Center with information on Pertussis (Whooping cough) and the Pertussis Vaccine.

That page will cover what Pertussis is, what the symptoms are, how to accurately diagnosis it, how it's transmitted, if it can cause injury and/or death, how often it is seen in various countries, what the ingredients are in the Pertussis Vaccine, and much more information about the vaccine itself, which is important to know.

Post back if you have any further questions after reading that page. It's very good and should answer all or most of your questions.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Wow! That was a very informative. Even the names of the vaccines combinations shot are there. I am very impressed and I thank you for that.

Glad you found the information helpful

My two-year-old had pertussis last winter and got over it quite quickly. For him, it was only slightly worse than a regular cold. Kate always has the best information, so I guess she has you covered otherwise.

My almost 3yo had pertussis 18 months ago. His illness was really critical. One could hear the "whooping" during a couching "attack". It sounded as if he was gasping for air. He was hospitalized for almost a week due to low oxygen levels while he was having a coughing attack. We chose not to vaccinated for it as well. I assume we caught it on vacation to the USA.
    It did take him about 3 months to pull through the cough attacks. Its a illness that you will want to do your own research on and make the best choice for your family.
    Oh one more tidbit, most doctors have never heard the actual whooping cough, i highly suggest looking up a sound bit so you can help distinguish it yourself.