What is your formula?

Hey there!!!

What brand of baby formula you have given your child?
    What can you say about it? Is your child accepted it or not?
    I gave my 2 boys the same formula as prescribed by their Paediatrician, S-26 Gold, and I did not encountered any problems. I am just grateful that my kids are very accepting in regards with their milk.

Share your stories or comments about the formula.

This is a new question in the same thread: what is the best alternative for dairy-based formula (for an infant who cannot seem to keep down dairy-based products)?

Hi MumsHelper50,

I've heard a lot of concern over soy based formula so, personally, I would stay away from this. I would actually try a goat milk based formula, as goat milk is much more tolerable than cow milk. The reason for this is because a cow has 4 stomachs to digest it's mother's milk. A goat only has one (as do we) so goat milk is easier for us to digest.

Dr. Sears has a good article on feeding infants goat milk formula.

And here's a great recipe for raw goat milk formula inspired by the Weston A. Price foundation.

I know you had some concerns that bub may have autism and until you rule this out I would highly suggest that you do what you can to help your daughter continue lactating so that bub can have the absolute best food for humans. If this just is not possible, then my next choice would be creating a homemade raw goat milk formula.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by proudmumof2boys View Post
    Hey there!!!

What brand of baby formula you have given your child?
    What can you say about it? Is your child accepted it or not?
    I gave my 2 boys the same formula as prescribed by their Paediatrician, S-26 Gold, and I did not encountered any problems. I am just grateful that my kids are very accepting in regards with their milk.

Share your stories or comments about the formula.

We started with good old Similac, and in the past 2 months went over to Enfamil, she tolerates this a bit better. I'm truly worried about soy, which her paediatrician has suggested.

Thank you for the info, Kate. I will definitely look into the Dr. Sears article; I am not too brave when it comes to things like making our own milk, but I will check and see what all this entails. I was encouraged that Elizabeth at least got breast milk for the first month, but her mum was afraid to continue once she got her fever with the mastitis. Even so, it was so hard for her stop expressing, her poor breasts would leak at a moments notice, heaven forbid she would stoop over to pick up something! I'm so grateful she is past all that now, it was a rough time for mum, she felt very guilty having to give up the breast milk for Elizabeth.

Hi MumsHelper50,

You'll have to do what works best for you and Elizabeth, but also know that you've only got 4 more months and then she should be able to graduate to goat milk with nothing added (or cow milk, but it sounds like she doesn't do cow milk very well). The Meyenburg Goat Milk has a very strong "goaty" flavor, so we avoid that and go with either raw goat milk from a local dairy goat breeder or milk that is sold at our local grocery store that is not ultra-pasteurized (it is pasteurized) and has an expiration date that is at least 2 weeks out. The longer the milk sits, the more goaty it will taste. However, goat milk that is less than 24 hours old tastes better than cow milk. When we get it raw, we freeze it immediately and then defrost a quart at a time by placing the container in warm water.

My 3rd baby was very sensitive to cow milk and would throw it up, so once I stopped breastfeeding (around 2 1/2 years of age) I transitioned him onto goat milk. In fact he was so sensitive to the lectins in cow milk that he would react to the predigested cow milk lectins that he got through my breastmilk. Needless to say I didn't have any dairy for 2 1/2 years, while I was breastfeeding him.

If you're concerned about possible autism or behavioral concerns I would definitely stay away from soy as the soy beans are tumbled in aluminum vats and can pick up high amounts of aluminum which can be a cause of autism. Sadly aluminum is very hard to avoid because it's in places you wouldn't normally think it would be.

And if your daughter has another baby, it's important to know that the best way to resolve mastitis is to tuck baby in next to you, even if you have fever, and let her breastfeed as much as she possibly can and in different positions to help alleviate the plugged milk ducts. Warm compresses and warm water from a bath or shower can also help to drain the ducts better, but breastfeeding is super important during that time.

And when you want to stop breastfeeding you can wrap cabbage leaves around the breast. Just take a fresh cabbage leaf, and crumple it a little to release some of the juice, and then wrap the breast in cabbage leaves. This will help to dry up the milk.

Warm regards,

Kate