Breastfeeding and immediate pregnancy after giving birth

Is it true that when you are breastfeeding your newborn baby you are also delaying your chances of getting pregnant immediately?

Thanks,
    Anne

Hi Anne,

'Exclusive Ecological Breastfeeding' (during a baby's first 6 months of life) is known to naturally suppress fertility in many women. This is in women where their menstrual cycles have not come back yet and the women also breastfeed in the night. This study by Gray et al. (1990) showed that a woman breastfeeding in this way has a 1-5% chance of ovulation in the first 6 months after giving birth.

I will say that everyone is different though! You begin fertility before you actually get your period - so some women get pregnant without their periods returning.

Ecological breastfeeding is where you breastfeed on demand and you have your baby close to you at most times e.g. through baby wearing or co-sleeping. I feel that this is nature's way of child spacing!

Best wishes,

LJ

Thank you for the information. I wondered because on my two pregnancies I breastfed my babies only for a month for I was working then and didn't have much milk to give. I just heard this idea from a friend but she didn't share any scientific proof of it. I'll share this to her. Thanks again.

You are very welcome Anne