Managing premenstrual syndromes

What are some tips in order for a woman to manage or handle premenstrual syndromes such as irritability and feeling tired? I find myself feeling this way a few days before my monthly period even if I don't intend myself to be in such state. I desire to feel and handle it better because I don't want to offend my love ones living with me.

Thanks,
    Anne

Stay healthy, drink plenty of water, and avoid caffiene. If your symptoms are severe you may have something known as premenstrual dysphoric disorder

Thank you mom2many. I read the PDD link you suggested and I think I would be going there if I would not manage the my PMS as early as now. I truly appreciate your suggestions and will consider of doing them immediately.

Hi Anne,

Some of the best things you can do to avoid PMS is to avoid sugar as much as possible. Then be sure you're getting enough essential fatty acids like cod liver oil, flax oil or Evening Primrose Oil. I've found that taking 1 Tablespoon of high quality olive oil each day can greatly help with hormonal balance and lessen PMS.

Another thing you could try is taking some inositol every day. This is a B vitamin that helps with balancing mood so you're happier and not so grumpy or sad.

And as for energy - when we're losing blood, it's best not to exercise too vigorously - in fact rest during this first part of the cycle (the menstrual phase) can be very beneficial. Be sure you're getting plenty of good sleep every night, and if you have a child that wakes you up at night, post back and I'll try to give you some ideas on how to get more sleep. Sleep is super, super important. You want to sleep in a dark room. The way to test if your room is dark enough is by holding your hand in front of your face. If you can see it, your room needs to be darker.

You will probably be tempted to eat sweets and white rice and crackers/cookies when you have low energy, but this will just make things worse, so try to stay away from them, eat a little something every 2 hours to keep your blood sugar stable, and have a piece of fresh fruit when you want something sweet.

Hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Kate

Thank you Kate for these practical tips that made me worry less in dealing with my PMS. I was also thinking of sharing this with my family particularly to my husband. He's been very patient with me though he finds me really weird and annoying during this period. I want to lessen (if not remove) the tension with my love ones whenever I am going through this condition.