How many movie time allowed for a 4yr old?

Hello,

My daughter loves to watch cartoon, even though it is an educational movie, I am still worried for how long she watch it.

Thanks,
    Jane

We generally stick to the one hour or less rule when it comes to kids and TV. I have heard the recommended limit is two hours, which is around the length of a single feature film. You are right to be concerned, even educational films have been shown to have a negative effect, especially in excess.

Hello mom2many,

One hour is great but most of the movie is more than an hour long, i don't think she will be happy when I stop the it in the middle of the movie. But i will try to let here whats as minimum hours.

Thank you.
    Jane

If you want to aim for an hour a day, but most movies are longer than an hour, then aim for 7 hours a week or 14 hours every 2 weeks.

This would mean allowing a movie every other day, or every 3rd day, rather than every day, and just try to hit your target of an average 7 hours a week.

We are seeing an epidemic of diabetes and obese children - something that hasn't been seen before. Much of this is due to fast food, poor diets (not enough fresh fruits and vegetables) and children spending too much time in front of the TV or computer.

So you are a wonderful mom to be concerned about how much time your daughter spends in front of the TV. Encourage exercise, reading, working with you in the kitchen (they can do a lot at age 4) and doing crafts (among other things). It's a really good thing!

Warm regards,

Kate

Hello Kate,

I am really stick with her when it"s movie time. Now I pick some episode movie so she can still relate with the story. She is very active and loves to play outside, it's just sometime we let her stay at grandma's house and when she got home, she will tell all kind of movie story . Its not every time but i guess most of the time they just let her watch movie.

Thank you again Kate.

Jane