How to make my daughter drink water?

Hello all,

My daughter is 13 months old. I have never faced any trouble feeding her any kind of food. But when it comes to making her drink water, she just refuses. I have tried changing her bottle to sippy cups - that too different types. But she just drinks may be a few drops and spits out the rest. After finishing her meals and snacks I make sure she drinks at least 3-4 mouthfuls of water. I think that is the only "considerate amount" of water I can say she actually drinks. Other times, it is just a few drops each time.

What do I do to make her drink more water? Will mixing juice with her water help?

Another thing I wanted to mention is that, I am not a big supporter of store bought juices. I always make home made juice for my daughter. How long do you recommend to keep diluted juice in room temperature? My daughter doesn't like anything cold - so keeping in the refrigerator is not an option.

Looking forward to seeing your suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rashmi

HI Rashmi,

Your 13 month old daughter may not need extra water. She gets water from your breastmilk, and if you're not breastfeeding, she gets it from her milk or formula.

If she's not getting any milk, then she may be getting enough water from the fruits and vegetables you are giving her.

If you feel that she must drink water, then mixing fresh juice with water is a good way to help her learn to drink plain water. You can start with 1/4 cup juice to 3/4 cup water. This will slightly flavor the water. If she still doesn't like it, try 1/2 water and 1/2 juice.

When making fresh juice, you can preserve most of the nutrients by filling a jar to the top with juice, and then putting the lid on, allowing a little of the juice to overflow. This ensures that there is no oxygen in the jar. The more oxygen you have at the top of the jar, the faster it will spoil.

You can keep this jar in the refrigerator for 24 hours and keep most of the nutrients too.

As for how long the juice can sit out at room temperature, this would depend upon how hot it is in the house. One easy remedy would be to refrigerate the juice, and then when your daughter wants some, pour a little in a pan and just put a low heat under it until it just takes the chill off. This won't take more than a minute or less (depending upon how much juice you have in the pan). Just stir it with your finger until it's the temperature your daughter likes.

Don't heat it to where it is uncomfortable on your finger, because this means it's too hot and you will have destroyed all those good nutrients you want your baby to have (the reason you give her fresh juices and not store bought).

Another thing you can try is making a green smoothie. Babies usually love fresh orange juice, banana and maybe some pineapple (if you have it) and then add a little fresh greens like spinach, chard or green leafy lettuce. The smoothie will turn a beautiful, bright green color.

This first video shows a baby enjoying a green smoothie (mom feeds it to him from a straw). The second shows a little boy making a smoothie with his Mum. They put blueberries in the smoothie, and that hides the green color. Enjoy!

Hello Kate,

Thank you for your reassurance. At her last appointment, her doctor asked me to give her water frequently. That was why I got worried - what if she doesn't get enough water. But the number of wet nappies she has per day are all good - as per what she should be having. May be she gets enough from her milk and fruits and vegetables.

I will try out the method you mentioned to store fresh juice. I have not yet tried giving my daughter smoothies. But your recipes look good. I will try them one of these days.

Once again, thank you for the support.

Regards,
    Rashmi

Dear Rashmi,

I agree with Kate that your daughter may be getting plenty of fluid from her milk. If she seems happy and has enough wet and dirty nappies a day then I would not be concerned. If your daughter is drinking enough then her urine should be light coloured or have no colour.

I give my son freshly made smoothies to drink in the day, alongside his breast milk and offering him sips of water. My son is 17 months old and he only takes little sips of water at a time. He prefers to drink out of an open glass than a toddler sippy cup - I don't know if you've tried this?

Best wishes,

LJ

Hello LJ,

Thanks for the reassurance. I tried the open glass method 2 days back and yes, she seem to like it better. May be because it is something new for her.

But I think, as you said, she gets enough water from her milk/fruits. We were traveling the last 2 days and it was pretty hot and humid. She drank more water during the travel. So may be at home she doesn't feel as thirsty and so drinks less water.

I have not tried smoothies yet. As I said, I will try the recipes Kate has suggested.

Thanks,
    Rashmi

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Dear Rashmi,

I agree with Kate that your daughter may be getting plenty of fluid from her milk. If she seems happy and has enough wet and dirty nappies a day then I would not be concerned. If your daughter is drinking enough then her urine should be light coloured or have no colour.

I give my son freshly made smoothies to drink in the day, alongside his breast milk and offering him sips of water. My son is 17 months old and he only takes little sips of water delivery san diego at a time. He prefers to drink out of an open glass than a toddler sippy cup - I don't know if you've tried this?

Best wishes,

LJ
    great advice. smoothies sound like a great idea alongside milk.