Screaming Toddlers

Screaming is one way of toddlers to say something or trying to get your attention.
    How do you keep your toddler to lower down his voice in a public places like a bank or a grocery store?

One tip I can share is...whenever we are at the supermarket I gave him something he can play with or I ask him to help me with the grocery list. In that way he is busy and I don't have to worry for onlookers bothered by his screaming.

Mums share your tips here.

Thanks!

One of the best ways to teach your children to quietly ask for something is to practice what is called a "silent interrupt".

This is where you teach your child to come over to you and put his hand on your leg when he needs you. If you're on the phone or talking to someone, and he needs you (or wants to say something), he should quietly come to you and put his hand on your leg. That's your cue, mum, to interrupt your conversation as quickly as is comfortable, by excusing yourself for a moment, and acknowledging your child.

This does two things - it shows the child that you will respond and his needs are important, which encourages him to politely ask for what he wants, and it shows respect to you and to the person you are talking to.

This is something you can practice at home by setting up scenarios and teaching him what to do.

It might look something like this.

"John, I want you to sit on the floor and play with this toy. I'm going to talk to Daddy. When you see me talking to Daddy, I want you to come over and put your hand on my leg so that I know that you need to tell me something."

If the child is too small to understand this, you can even give direction while you are talking by saying, "Johnny, I want you to pretend that you need something, and come over here and put your hand on my leg." Then you acknowledge him when he does this, just like you would if you were having a conversation with a friend.

You can also train right in the midst of an unacceptable situation. If Johnny starts to demand something, stop him and say, "I want you to do a silent interrupt." or "Come over here and quietly stand by Mummy with your hand on my leg." Then, when he does this, acknowledge him fairly quickly, while in training, and praise him.

If you practice this consistently (consistency is key) he could learn this in a day or two. But never give in to a demanding child (tantrum or no tantrum). That just reinforces the poor behavior and makes it much harder to "undo" in the future.

Anyone else have a tip to share?

Kate

Thanks for the helpful tips ladies!

I often use humour to distract my toddler if he is screaming or shouting when we are out. I find that making him laugh (e.g. by singing a rhyme from one of his favourite books) helps him to calm down and he then tends to become more interested in what is going on around him.

Keep sharing those tips!

That's a great idea. I'm not that quick (or humourous) but if I were, I'd definitely try that one. Always good to try to redirect