Thread: Potty Training

Potty Training

My son is 18 months old. He grabs himself when he poops and sometimes runs to his changing table when I ask him has he pooped. My question is when would be a good time to start potty training him and
    what are a few different approaches I can take.

Interesting cues that your son is giving you. I find that most children aren't really ready to be potty trained until they are 2 1/2 - 3 years old. My guess is that he doesn't like the feeling of the poop coming out or being in a dirty diaper and he wants to be cleaned quickly. At 18 months that would be my guess.

Here's an article on How To Potty Train in One Day, and another article on Elimination Communication in case either of those interest you.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thanks for the help

Hi,

Yes I agree with Kate that, in my opinion, 18 months is a bit young to start potty training. The exception to this is those who use Elimination Communication - I have a friend who started her daughter with Going Diaper-less at 6 months (this approach tends to work best if you start at a very young age) and by 18 months old she was potty trained. Throughout this time by friend kept a gentle parenting approach to the potty training. In the past, young children were sometimes disciplined to get them to potty train earlier - and this is one reason why many parents now wait until their toddler is about 3.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 16th May 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Laura-Jane,

As you watched your friend use the "Elimination Communication" method, how did this work? Did she wear the child a lot so she could pick up on the child's cues? Was it very time intensive? Were there lots of accidents? If the child god diaper-less at 6 months, does the parent have to be highly invested in the process (i.e. it takes a lot of time)?

I'm curious as I haven't known anyone, personally who potty trained their children with the Elimination Communication method.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Well the reason my friend actually chose to start Elimination Communication was because her baby had quite bad nappy rash so she was leaving the nappy off a lot anyway (so that the air could help to heal the nappy rash). Once she began to do this, my friend quickly began to pick up cues from the baby (noises and facial expressions) and then she would go and hold the baby over the loo. There were accidents but not as many as you might think! My friend did baby wear - and this certainly helped her to pick up the cues. My friend says it wasn't particularly time intensive because that is the level of attention she was giving her baby anyway - so all she had to do was keep a particular look out for the 'toilet cues' and then head speedily to the loo!

It certainly seemed to work for them.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi LJ,

That's interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

And on that note, my 20 year old daughter shared a video with me today called "Babies". It's a look at 4 different mothers and babies from 4 different cultures. It documents the babies from their first breath through the first year.

Some babies don't wear nappies and it's interesting to see how the parents deal with this. It's a wonderful movie and one I'd recommend if you can find it at your library.

Here's the movie trailer.