Thread: Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum

My 18 month son is usually calm, but there are time when I tell him no-no he turns red and yells. I've tried different method to get him to stop. I've tried whispering to him, ignoring it, and trying to distract him with something else. Sometimes these work and sometimes I just have to give him space. Any more suggestions on how to tackle this?

It sounds like your son is testing his boundaries, so it's going to be your job to let him know that you are in control (so that he doesn't feel out of control). Having worked as an Office Manager in a preschool for 6 years, I learned a lot from the Director and the teachers there, and I used some of what I learned with my own 5 children.

When your son yells, it is a sign that he cannot control himself (or his temper). Something that I've seen work very effectively is to immediately go to him, kneel down and look him in the eye. Do what it takes to be sure he is looking at you as you speak the next few words... "I will not let you do that." These words need to be spoken with authority, in a firm tone, and your facial expression should show that you are not happy with his behavior (you won't be smiling and you won't be saying this in a soft tone - you will look serious and sound serious, because this IS serious). You need him to understand that you're in control and you're not going to let him act that way.

That may be enough for him to stop. If he stops, take him in your arms and give him a hug. Then you can soften your voice and say, "Mama loves you and I won't let you yell - that's not okay." This will reassure him that you love him and that you're in control so he doesn't have to be out of control. It will also help him to know what his boundaries are. If you set the boundaries now, and the expectation, your parenting journey will be much easier

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate for the reply I will most certainly try this.

Please post back and let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work well I'll give another suggestion.

Warm regards,

Kate