Lightbulb What Medication Do I Need To Use To Treat Chronic Coughing?

Ever since my son went to school, he always got a cough even up to these days. When I brought him to his pediatrician, his doctor will just prescribe an antibiotic with a cough expectorant medicine. However after a month, the cough will always return. I was worried because somehow I know that antibiotics are not good to a child's health if it is always taken. I asked my doctor for possible cough remedies that will not use antibiotics, but according to him there ain't any? Is this true? How will my son get rid of cough? Does this mean my son is having a weak lungs? If it his lungs is weak, so what medication should I use to treat my son's chronic coughing? Is there any medical practitioners here? Can you shed light on this matter?

Many doctors aren't aware of the wonderful remedies that are natural and healing to the body. This is simply because they haven't had more than a few hours of education in nutrition (sad).

I'd encourage you to empower yourself and learn all you can about nutrition and holistic ways to heal the body. This way you will be able to provide the best treatment possible for your son.

If you want the help of a practitioner in your area, look for a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner. Many are skilled in preparing special herbal preparations that your son could take. I have a TCM who makes a special cough preparation for our family. I explain what the symptoms are, and what the cough sounds like, and when they have it (i.e. at night, during the day, etc.) and then she puts the right herbs together in the right amounts and tells me how much to give each child. This clears the cough every time, and usually within 24-72 hours.

When we treat the cause of the cough, then, when the cough goes away, it stays away. When we treat the symptom (coughing is a symptom of another weakness in the body) then the cough will go away, but will return when the treatment stops.

You are correct in assuming that antibiotics are not good to take on a long term basis. The reason for this is because you can set your child up for a super bug. A super bug is when the bacteria causing the illness has mutated to a point where it is resistant to all antibiotics because antibiotics have been overused. In your son's case, I'm wondering if the doctor is giving stronger and stronger antibiotics each time.

Boosting the immune system naturally may be all you need in order for your son to get over his cough. If your son started coughing when he went to school, he probably is catching colds or viruses from others, which are causing the cough. Also, you probably know that viruses are not affected by antibiotics, and often times a doctor will prescribe an antibiotic just to appease a parent, even if he is fairly certain that the child has a virus. It's sad, but it often happens.

We have a thread here that discusses natural remedies for cold and cough. You might find some helpful tips there. And I just posted some information about how to boost the immune system naturally here. Scroll down to my longer posts where I include 2 videos on how to ferment and culture foods for their probiotic benefits.

One last thing I'd like to mention is this. Anytime you or your child takes antibiotics, it's important to replenish the good bacteria that the antibiotics killed off. You can do this by taking a probiotic (discussed in more detail in the thread I just referred to). Some people take a probiotic between their antibiotic doses, but the antibiotic is there to kill bacteria, so I'm not sure how effective that is. Once the antibiotic is stopped it's really important to replace the good bacteria with a probiotic.

Hope this helps and I wish you all the best in learning how to naturally heal the body. There is a lot of information available on the web now and do feel free to post back any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Kate