Threaded View

What do you think about the reactions to the Time Magazine's breastfeeding photo?

Hi everyone,

I don't know if you have all seen last week's front cover of the Time Magazine which shows a photo of a lady breastfeeding her 3 year old son with them both looking into the camera.

I think it's a cute picture - it looks like mum and son have a great relationship and he is obviously comfortable feeding. I'm not quite sure why there is so much apparent controversy over the picture, as reported in this BBC news report. The Washington Post also commented on the front cover in a discussion around what makes this image sensational. Fox news discussed whether the 3 year old was exploited in this photo.

For me - as a photo of a mother breastfeeding her child I think it's beautiful. I think Fox News do have a point to consider the rights of the child. But sometimes it seems like everyone has an opinion on breastfeeding (particularly extended breastfeeding) whereas practices like cry it out which I believe are unhealthy for the baby are accepted without judgement.

What are other mum's thoughts on this subject?

I look forward to reading your responses!

Thanks,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 22nd May 2012 at 10:46 PM.