Contractions on 1st Trimester

Hi everyone!

I have a friend who is almost 3 mos pregnant now, and she's experiencing contractions every now and then. This is her 2nd pregnancy and she's worried because she never experienced this on her 1st pregnancy. Could there be something wrong with the baby? Is this normal to other pregnant women? Could this lead to miscarriage?

Thanks!
    Chi

It's likely round ligament pain or maybe even early Braxton Hicks. Braxton Hicks contractions, which are sometimes known as "practice" contractions or "false labor" are more noticeable during subsequent pregnancies.

Just having one every now and then, likely isn't anything to worry about. If they become regular or seem to set into a pattern, or she experiences any spotting she notify her care provider immediately to rule out other, more serious issues.
    Last edited by mom2many; 23rd May 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Hi Chi,

Contractions aren't normal for the first trimester, and I would encourage her to talk to her midwife or doctor if she is experiencing something that concerns her. Sometimes drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea during the first trimester can cause cramping, but drinking only 1 cup a day during the first trimester shouldn't cause cramping/contractions.. Red Raspberry Leaf Tea can be very helpful for toning the uterus, and some midwives encourage women to start drinking it in their 2nd or 3rd trimester.

Cramping or contractions could also be caused by a lack of progesterone. When a woman conceives, the corpus luteum is responsible for making sure there's enough progesterone produced to support the pregnancy. Around 8 weeks post conception, the placenta takes over production of progesterone in much greater amounts. If the placenta is not creating enough progesterone to support the pregnancy, then cramping and contractions can occur, threatening miscarriage.

Some women use natural progesterone cream throughout their pregnancy (until week 37 or so) to help support their pregnancy. I've seen this done in women who are in their 40's. In fact one of my dear friends used natural progesterone cream to keep her pregnancy after 6 miscarriages. Her midwife encouraged her to use it up until week 37 of her pregnancy, and she gave birth to a full term baby.

Please post back and let us know if your friend has had an appointment with her doctor or midwife lately, and let us know how she is doing.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi All,

My wife is now on her 18 weeks. Its her first pregnancy. In the morning she feels the pain of having leg cramps and also vaginal cramps. Is it just normal? When she have that pain, I am asking her to lie down and put her legs in top of a pillow and as well in an elevated position. Is it just normal? And how many minutes she needs to feel this if its normal.

Thanks,
    Shao

Hello Shao,

Having leg cramps during pregnancy is an indication that your wife probably needs a calcium/magnesium supplement. Baby is starting to develop a lot more bone now and he/she will take what he/she needs from mum. If she doesn't have enough for both her and the baby, then her bone and teeth calcium will be reduced which can cause bone and tooth loss.

I'd highly recommend that your wife take a calcium/magnesium supplement according to the label on the bottle and my guess is that the leg cramps and possibly even vaginal cramps will settle down within a week's time.

Please post back and let us know if it helps.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Shao,

Some women also experience nerve pain in their legs during pregnancy which can feel like a cramping sensation too. If your wife's midwife thinks this may be the case then she could refer your wife to the physiotherapy department for guidance on some exercises to help with this. It is also advisable to keep lifting to a minimum.

Best wishes,

LJ