Hybrid View

Miscarriage and future chances of pregnancy

Hi there

I am 23 years old and am starting to consider the idea of starting a family within the next few years. When I was young I sadly had a miscarriage and due to my young age I did not seek any medical attention at the time for fear of my family finding out. I wonder if you could tell me how this will affect my chances of getting pregnant and how likely it would be that I might suffer another miscarriage. Thanks.

Hello,

I do not know your history, such as how far along you were during the first miscarriage, etc. However, early miscarriages are actually pretty common and typically require no medical care. At least 1/4 of the population has suffered one, with actual statistics probably being much higher, since many women chalk them up to just another menstrual cycle. Sadly, I have been told that first pregnancies are more likely to end in miscarriage. I have personally suffered two miscarriages, my first and third pregnancy. They occurred at 4 and 10 weeks respectively. Neither required special medical attention or resulted in permanent damage. I have four healthy, beautiful children at home, from my other pregnancies.

There is, of course, a chance that you may have another miscarriage. Women who have had one are at a slightly higher risk of having another, since the reasons are not always clear after the first. But the odds are that you will be just fine. I would visit an OB or Midwife and get a preconception checkup. That should help to relieve some of your worries. The fact that you've been pregnant once, however, is a good indicator. It shows that you are capable of conception.

Good Luck!

Hi Charlotte,

Mom2Many had some good statistics for you. I want to reassure you that not seeking medical attention after your miscarriage most likely will not pose any problems in future pregnancies. Many doctors will allow a woman to miscarry naturally which is the best option in most early miscarriages.

One of the best things you can do for your future baby is to start planning for pregnancy with preconception care at least 4 months before you plan to conceive.

If you create a baby friendly body before you conceive, your chances of miscarriage will be lower and your baby will be healthier.

The more you know about how to avoid miscarriage the more empowered you will feel and the better your pregnancy and birth will be.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate & Mom2many

Thank you so much for your messages they give me so much hope that everything will hopefully be okay 2nd time around. It is also a very good point that I was able and lucky enough to get pregnant in the first place even though sadly it did not go full term.

Thank you both for the preconception advice also I think that is certainly something I would like to do and certainly anything I could do to improve my chances of a healthy pregnancy would be more than worth the time.

Thanks again for the positive advice & suggestions ladies

Charlotte