Emotional Well-Being

Hello,

My husband is the one taking care of my child because I am more capable of earning higher income. I wanted to spend quality time with my child but my time is so limited. How do this scenario affects the emotional well-being of my son? If you have any idea please share your insight. Thanks.

Regards,
    Keith

Hi Keith,

What hours are you working away from home? I noticed in another post that you mentioned that you just quit your night job and are hoping to work from home more.

How many of your child's waking hours are you available to him now? What times during the day are you with him? If you can give more information this will help me to give some suggestions on how to spend quality time with your child.

Warm regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 29th May 2012 at 12:48 AM.

Hi Keith,

I just wanted to add that the good thing is that your son is spending time with his dad. It is important that children feel secure and loved by their family - but there are so many different family set-ups (with different parental working arrangements) which can achieve this.

I think your son must know how much you love him!

Best wishes,

LJ

I am in a similar situation. I have a degree and higher earning potential so I work full-time while my husband watches the children and attends nursing school. It works really well for us. I am fortunate that I work from home most of the time, so I get to pop in and see my children quite frequently during the day.

I think the fact that our children get to spend so much time with their dad will be nothing but beneficial to their upbringing. Children who have a strong father figure often grow up feeling quite confident.

I am in a similar situation. I have a degree and higher earning potential so I work full-time while my husband watches the children and attends nursing school. It works really well for us. I am fortunate that I work from home most of the time, so I get to pop in and see my children quite frequently during the day.

I think the fact that our children get to spend so much time with a parent will be nothing but beneficial to their upbringing. As for not being there, you are doing what you can. I am sure your son knows you love him, and it's the little things that count. Read him a story before bed when you are home in the evenings, and sit down and have a meal with him when you can. Those little touches mean a lot to small children. Realize that you are giving your little one the benefit of a stable upbringing and helping to fund your husband's staying home. Being with a parent is far better than sending a little one off to daycare so both parents can work.