Right age for school

Hello,

I would like to ask. What is the right age for a child to be sent to school?

Hello,

Apologies for the delay in replying to your interesting question.

You may like to read this article from the main section of the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond website: Choosing a School by Pinky McKay.

There are many ways in which readiness for school are defined including a child being comfortable with being left without a significant caregiver, starting to show an interest/ recognise numbers and letters, exploring mark-making etc. However, many would re-phrase this question to be 'would my child benefit from being in the home environment for another year (or even on an ongoing basis)'. Home education is an alternative education to school and many children thrive in this natural, child-led learning environment.

Interestingly, in countries where children are sent to school later; educational attainments are often better throughout the education system. Have a look at this article which was published in the New Scientist journal: Too Much, Too Young: Should Schooling Start at Age 7?. This article explains why play is essential in the life of young children: 'playful activity leads to the growth of more connections between neurons, particularly in the frontal lobe – the part of the brain responsible for uniquely human higher mental functions.' You can also read more about the importance of play in this research from Cambridge University: Play's the thing.

I would be interested to hear your comments on this.

With warm wishes,
    LJ

I would say 3 is a good age for the joining the school, but for some of parents 2yrs is okay too though i think kids are very small at that age. Children need to be around other children their own age when they are young.

What did you think of the research in the study above deenamathew?