Administrator

When did your cycle return?

At the pregnancy and parent network today one of the women asked "when did your cycle return"? I know from my own experience that even though I exclusively breastfed - my cycle returned within 3 months with my first baby, 4.5 months with my second baby and 7 months with my third baby. The woman asking the question was frequently breastfeeding her nearly 2 year old and her cycle hadn't returned. When did your menstrual cycle return?
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

My cycle ended up returning just after he turned 2, but this was after three unsuccessful IVF cycles (we took three months break from cycling, and I had two periods in the meantime.)

We've now just had a fourth unsuccessful cycle, and I'm waiting to see in a few weeks whether it does return on its own again.

I'm still wondering if anyone else had a period so reluctant to come back? ( I do still have an extremely enthusiastic BFer on my hands here )

Well mine returned as normal like the next month after I had my son. I was actually cycling after I had my baby that night, but I think that was from my cesarean, but I am not sure. Yeah I would say that everything ended up being normal after I had him. I am waiting ot see what happens after my second one.

My cycles returned at different times with each child, but usually a few months before one year. With one of my children it returned earlier, but I was unable to breastfeed her for longer than a few months. I have heard of women that have extended breastfed and their cycles did not return until they had completely weaned.

Well for me my cycle returned at my 4th month postpartum. Though it was only like very a small amount of blood. My normal cycle ( which involves a lot of blood) returned around 8 months after birth already.

Hello!

I exclusively breastfed for about 5 months, then my baby is mix-fed up until now. However my cycle hasn't returned yet and my baby is turning one in a month already. Is this normal?

Administrator
    Hi Mary - for some women their cycles do not return until they have almost stopped breastfeeding. Some women do not have a period until they have completely stopped breastfeeding. So not having your period at one year is completely normal.
    Hidden Content

Thank you for your reply aussiemidwife.

Administrator
    It is my pleasure
    Hidden Content

My cycle returned to normal about 3 months after I had my boys. It was heavier and irratic before the three month mark, so I was bleeding it just hadn't returned to my "normal" 28 day cycle.

My cycle has only recently returned to normal, I am still breast feeding my 14 month old son including through the night (she says somewhat sleepily!).

My regular cycle returned a month after giving birth to my first son. For my 2nd son, it was on the 7th month.

I noticed that after giving up breastfeeding to my kids, was the start of my regular cycle. I guess it was just the way our body works, right?

Yes proudmumof2boys - I think the (temporary) infertility caused during breastfeeding can be nature's way of not allowing our bodies to get pregnant whilst we are breastfeeding another baby. Although, that said, there is clearly a big variation in when women's cycles return (even when they are all breastfeeding) - as this thread shows.

My daughter is 15 months old and my cycle has returned this week. For 6 months now I have felt the tell-tale signs and also noticed symptoms of ovulation but it has taken till now for my body to get going (not that I am complaining!)

As for the 'temporary infertility caused by breastfeeding.' My mother arrived at the Doctor 3 months after the birth of her first child, telling the Doctor she was pregnant. He told her she was being rediculous and that because she was exclusively breastfeeding there was no chance she was pregnant.

Finding out her periods hadn't returned, he asked what could make her think she was pregnant again. She told him she knew her own body and its signs. He told her to go away and come back in 6 months if she wanted to consider conceiving again.

So Mum went away and came back in 6 months.... with a big belly. the Doctor was furious to which my mother replied 'Well you were convinced you knew my body better than me. You told me to come back in 6 months and here I am. I am betting I am due in three months!' LOL
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content