Thread: Manage PMS

Manage PMS

Need advice on how to manage PMS, it's been my problem these past few months
    I feel like I'm having it forever, it's not like this before. What are the best way to handle it?

Hi mumnlikenit,

Ahhhh... PMS. So many women needlessly experience this and thankfully there are many natural things you can do to overcome it.

PMS is caused by hormonal imbalance and here are some ways to help to balance your hormones again.

- Avoid sugar and refined foods including crackers, cookies and chips.

- Make sure you're getting enough healthy fats in your diet and avoiding the unhealthy ones. Unhealthy fats are often times the "hidden" fats in packaged foods and any fat that is hydrogenated. Healthy fats include avocados, olive oil, fish oil (i.e. cod liver oil), flax oil and coconut oil. My nutritionist told me to take 1 Tblsp. of olive oil and flax oil (according to the bottle) and after doing this for a month my hormones started to balance and my cycles evened out.

- Be sure you're getting enough good rest. If you're in bed by 9PM you're putting energy into your body. If you're in bed by 10PM you're breaking even, and if you're in bed by 11PM you're taking energy away from your body. Your body needs good energy in order to create hormones in the proper balance. Also be sure your bedroom is dark (you can't see your hand in front of your face) and quiet. Quality sleep is just as important as the quantity of sleep.

- Exercise! Be sure you're getting at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. You could even go out for a walk and that would count as exercise.

I see you have another post about being too tired for sex, so I'm going to address this now, as it goes right along with what I have posted here.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thank you so much for this Kate! Sure thing I will take these advice and it was also very informative.
    Now I know where are all these discomforts are coming from. I guess I'm too caught up with the household chores. But then again thank you for these

Have any of you ever tried crampbark for PMS? I have heard good things from others but have never tried it myself. Just curious!

I haven't tried it myself I never got cramps when I was having my periods, but I'm working with a naturopath who recommends:

2 full dropperfulls of Cramp Bark tincture in warm water or 1-2 over the counter pain relievers for pain relief of cramps.

If anyone tries this, please post back and let us know how it worked for you.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi. I am very much enjoying this site and I'm learning so much. Happy to know that you can also share PMS problems here. Whenever I have PMS I get so jealous it's like Im a different person. I overthink of things and react harshly. Is there something wrong with me ?

Hi readytobeamum,

What you're experiencing is hormonal imbalance, and when your hormones are out of balance, it makes it really difficult to control your feelings and sometimes even your actions. It's the hormones expressing themselves when we experience anger, cramping, sadness, bloatedness, over-thinking and a whole array of things that go along with premenstrual syndrome - PMS.

Thankfully there are a whole host of things you can do to help bring those hormones into balance, which also will promote fertility if you are trying to conceive.

I shared some things earlier in this thread, related to diet and lifestyle, so be sure to read those tips. Something you can do right now is to cut out all sugar. With it being Christmas Time and all the other holidays that come at this time of year, I've found that my home as had a lot more sugar in it than it usually does. This means we have been eating more sugar than normal, which disrupts hormones and depresses the immune system. Cutting out sugar will boost the immune system (so you don't get sick as often or as severely) and will help with your moods (no more anger!). Of course it will also increase fertility.

One really great way to help balance your hormones is to drink your greens. This means that you want to try to get 3 heads of deep green leafy vegetables into your body every day. The easiest way to do this is to juice the greens (adding some apple, cucumber, celery, and/or any other fruits or vegetables that you want). My absolute favorite green drink is juicing green apples with some kale. Kale is the best green leafy vegetable of all because it has so much calcium, plant protein and chlorophyll - all of which the body needs in large amounts. To make a green drink you need to have a juicer, but to make a green smoothie, you just need a blender (the more powerful the blender, the better).

Here's a video showing you how to make a green smoothie using kale, grapes and mango. If you need to add more water to make your smoothie, feel free to do that - and try to use purified water whenever possible.

Drinking a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables is very powerful in balancing hormones and increasing fertility.

What do you think?

Warm Regards,

Kate

I also wanted to mention that you may want to start a preconception care diet which is very similar to a pregnancy diet. You want to act pregnant to get pregnant, which means that if you wouldn't eat it, drink it, be around it or do it while you're pregnant, then you don't want to do any of that now.

The reason for this is because it takes about 4 months for an egg cell to develop into an "adult egg" which is capable of being fertilized. During this 4 month period of time, the egg is developing and growing. What you put into your body will affect the quality of that egg.

Here's a link to a page on this site that discusses more about how to plan for your pregnancy with preconception care.

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 30th December 2012 at 03:28 AM.

Wow I can't thank you enough for all your help I am so happy thank you! I will surely practice all of these tips and this is the first time I found out that it takes 4 months for an egg to be fully grown. Thanks again

It also takes 4 months for sperm to develop and it's a good idea to try to get your husband to join you on a preconception diet so that when you ovulate (being that you may not ovulate very often) you'll have the best chance of a high quality sperm fertilizing the egg.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this on another one of your posts, but it's also a really good idea to learn how to watch your signs of fertility. The reason is because if you can read your body's fertility signs you'll be able to know when you're going to ovulate, ahead of time, so that you can plan your love making accordingly and increase your chances of conception.

As you start to watch your fertility signs, feel free to post back if you have any questions about what you're seeing.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi I do have a question =) uhm i have my cycle every month, does that mean that i ovulate every month too? thanks

How do you manage PMS (premenstrual syndrome)?
    Can you get rid of it? I'm tired of having to hurt people because of my mood swings
    a week before my period i get impulsive and very emotional..sensitive at all times..
    another thing that bothers me, I'm having a hard time recalling things! i'm very forgetful and it sucks

Hi Readytobeamum

While the process of ovulation and menstruation are obviously linked, having regular periods is not a guarantee of ovulation. The following forum thread offers some great information on ovulation that might assist you: Signs of Fertility. Ovulation testing kits (like pregnancy testing kits) are also available from pharmacies.

I hope this helps!
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content

Hi mekiaussie234

It sounds like you are having a rough time of it. PMS is caused by hormonal imbalances and here are some ways to help to balance your hormones again.

• Avoid sugar and refined foods including crackers, cookies and chips.
    • Make sure you're getting enough healthy fats in your diet and avoiding the unhealthy ones. Healthy fats include avocados, olive oil, fish oil (i.e. cod liver oil), flax oil and coconut oil.
    • Be sure you're getting enough good rest. If you're in bed by 9PM you're putting energy into your body. If you're in bed by 10PM you're breaking even, and if you're in bed by 11PM you're taking energy away from your body. Your body needs good energy in order to create hormones in the proper balance.
    • Exercise! Be sure you're getting at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. You could even go out for a walk and that would count as exercise.
    • Make sure you are getting LOTS of green (and preferably leafy) vegetables. (If you scroll up in this thread there is a great YouTube video on drinking them which is even better!)

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Mumof2IVFmiracles; 17th April 2013 at 03:03 PM.
    Hidden Content Mumof2IVFmiracles Hidden Content