For the second time around..

Since my husband and I are planning another baby. I'd like to as ask how does it feel getting pregnant and giving birth for the second time?

For me, my subsequent pregnancies were a little more difficult but my births were easier. I felt more of the BH contractions, felt movement earlier, and experienced a bit more of the aches and pains of pregnancy with babies 2, 3, and 4. However, my labor and births were far easier with each baby. I pushed for four hours with baby 1 and all subsequent babies were out in one to three pushes. I also had significantly shorter labors.

Best of luck!

Dear mumnlikenit,

That is exciting that you and your husband are planning another baby.

I can only answer how the subsequent pregnancy is as I have not done the birthing part yet for my second! I must say, the pregnancy seems to be going so much quicker this time. This is probably because I am so busy with my toddler that I don't have much time to think! Thankfully, my morning sickness has been much, much less with this pregnancy (this was also the case for my mum's pregnancies).

My belly has got bigger quicker with this pregnancy! It obviously stretches easier. I felt this baby's first movements at 16 weeks compared to 18-19 weeks with my first (because I know what to feel for!).

Most second labours are at least half the length of the first labour. I have been preparing a lot more for the birth this time around as I know so much more (through experience and reading) than before.

It's a good idea to start making sure you are eating a healthy, balanced diet when you are trying to conceive: have a look at the article Safe Eating and Drinking Before and During Pregnancy.

Best wishes to you and your husband,

LJ