Question about autism

What is the earliest age that professionals can determine if a child has autism? We're concerned about my granddaughter, Elizabeth, and are noticing some behaviours that concern us, myself and Elizabeth's mum (my daughter).

Hi MumsHelper50,

Please share how old your granddaughter is and what you are noticing that concerns you. Also, please share when you started noticing these things, if Elizabeth has had any vaccines.

We might dialogue back and forth a bit on this one but I'll do my best to give you some insight.

Warm regards,

Kate

She is just turning 8 mos old. She rarely makes eye contact, and waves her hands around a lot, a lot of repetition. She's up to date on all her vaccines to date. I also posted in a different thread, she has a lot of trouble keeping down regular formula, and I've been told to add a bit of cereal to her formula, but that doesn't help much.

I just responded to another thread, and I suggested trying cereal, but I wasn't thinking of a small amount in the formula, I was thinking more of a separate feed of cereal with some pureed prunes (to keep her from becoming constipated from the cereal). For helping her keep the formula down you could try a goat milk formula just to see if she digests it better. You can get pre-made goat milk formula or you can make it yourself using the recipe I suggested. If you want to try pre-made, do a search for Meyenburg Baby Formula.

As for the fact that she rarely makes eye contact and waves her hands around a lot, if you are concerned that this may be a sign of autism, I would definitely take her to a practitioner who specializes in working with autistic children to naturally remove any substances that the body is holding on to that could be causing the autism.

This would include aluminum, mercury and other things. Sadly, many vaccines contain mercury and/or aluminum and this is why we have seen the number of autistic children soar in recent years. The number of vaccines now recommended seem to grow every year and children whose well meaning parents make sure they have them all are the ones who are at highest risk of developing autism.

Here's an excellent article called "Autism & Vaccine, A New Look At An Old Story" from the National Vaccine Information Center.

And here's an excellent video by Dr. Kenneth Stoller, MD where he explains the connection between vaccines and autism. Thankfully there are ways to naturally treat autism, but you'll need to do some research on this because most parents aren't aware of the practitioners who can do this. Please watch this video and post back with your thoughts.

I'd encourage you to start seeking help for your Granddaughter immediately. Once you find the cause of her odd behaviors then you'll have a much better idea as to what to do to correct the problem.

As a rule, we chose not to vaccinate our children, though two of the children did have one vaccine but it wasn't given until they were over 10 years old (it was the Chicken Pox vaccine) and I don't think we will give the other 3 children that vaccine (I learn more each year).

If you look at the vaccine forum area on this site you will find a lot of good information. It took me many, many hours of research and reading to come to the conclusion that vaccines carried a greater risk to our children then the risk of them developing complications from any of the diseases the vaccines were suppose to prevent (just because a child receives a vaccines does not mean that she develops immunity to the disease).

Every family has to make the decision that they feel is best for them, but if you're granddaughter is showing signs of autism I would encourage you to hold off on giving any future vaccines until you've had time to do some deep research. This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Please feel free to post back with any questions or concerns. This is likely the start of a journey that will take some time to travel, but you are wise to look into this now.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Mumshelper,
    I'm an early childhood teacher and music and movement therapist. In my experience most children won't receive a formal diagnosis of autism until around 2.5 years of age. There are many diagnostic criteria that need to be met, many that are social which are milestones children your grand daughters age would yet to of reached. I do understand your concerns and these should be followed up on. If she is vomiting her milk it is different to the refusal of food found in autism, this is because of a sensorary difference. Children with autism often have a difference in sensorary perception, for example, many children with autism prefer a firm touch as soft touch feels overwhelming. In the mean time you can always encourage eye contact as much as possible, talk to her face to face, ensuring their is little distraction around in the environment, when she looks at you even briefly verbally reward her or even just give her a big smile. Many children take a while to hold eye contact, I find this can even extend to preschool aged children. As for the hand flapping and repetition, be reassured this is extremely age appropriate. Repetition is a lovely was for children to thoroughly explore and process their environment and activities. I hope you are able to find professional assistance, perhaps a pediatrictian or early childhood nurse can discuss with you developmental milestones and any concerns you have.
    If you would like any contact details for organisations of assistance I'm only to happy to help, early intervention helps children with autism immensely, all the best!
    Kassie

Kassie86,

Thanks for that reassuring note for MumsHelper50. Good information there.

MumsHelper50 - being that you are a grandmum, you are likely already familiar with what is normal and what isn't in an 8 month old. Again, if you are concerned then it's really good to take some steps now to protect Elizabeth from things that are known to cause autism, and find a good natural practitioner that can help you know if you should have any concern or not.

I commend you for being proactive in finding the best help for your Granddaughter. Truly I hope that there's nothing to be concerned with, but I am concerned about the fact that she doesn't keep her feedings down as this could add up to nutrient deficiencies if she's not able to absorb all she needs for the milk/food she keeps down.

Warm regards,

Kate

A diagnosis of Autism really isn't going to be made until a child is much older and from what you are saying I'd have the baby's eyes checked first.

My nephew wasn't diagnosed until he was 3. That's when my sister was told that it was earliest they can tell.