Feeding schedule

Is there a proven, good, and least stressful way to get a baby on a feeding schedule? Would introducing a bit of cereal help?

Hello MumsHelper50,

Please let us know how old baby is and when you say a "feeding schedule" are you wanting a sleep schedule too, or just a feeding schedule?

Most breastfed infants will eat about every 2 hours, as breastmilk digests faster than formula. Most formula fed babies will eat about every 3 hours, but it's always best to take baby's cues. Sometimes bub will want to eat all day long (it seems) and that can be when they're going through a growth spurt.

Is bub being breastfed and formula fed, or only formula fed? Also, you mentioned in another post that bub may not be tolerating cow milk formula, so I'd like to know how much bub throws up at each feeding and if throwing up is the only indication that she may not be tolerating her formula well.

Warm regards,

Kate

Elizabeth is just turning 8 months, and has never slept through the night. She seems to get hungry pretty quickly, every 2 hours. I know my own mum gave us a bit of cereal in our formula so we wouldn't get hungry so quickly. Elizabeth was fed breast milk for the first 3-4 weeks, she was unable to latch on, if you will, and her mum expressed the breastmilk into small bottles until she developed mastitis and was forced to stop expressing.

Elizabeth seemed to have trouble even keeping down the breast milk. We use a regular, cow milk formula and her paediatrician has suggested soy-based milk, but I'm so leery of switching. She throws up every feeding, not just a little spit up, but what seems like the entire amount at times. It's no wonder poor bub stays so hungry! Both she and her mum must change tops with each feeding. What are your feelings about soy?

Hi mumshelper50,

I'm sorry to here Elizabeth's mum had trouble breastfeeding. If she ever experiences problems with future babies I would recommend she seeks help from a lactation consultant. These professionals do an excellent job at helping mums with all things breastfeeding related: including getting the latch right (which many first time mums struggle with). Mastitis often develops when there is a sudden drop in the breastfeeding and not enough milk is being taken from the breasts.

What you describe (with Elizabeth having trouble keeping her milk and food down) could be reflux - this is when a baby's stomach contents frequently come back up. It is more common in formula fed babies but can also occur in breastfed babies. However, the symptoms of reflux are similar to a cow's milk allergy. Has your paediatrician considered reflux too?

Is Elizabeth eating solid food? We followed baby led weaning with my son and I have seen many benefits of this method of weaning. The baby joins in eating food at mealtimes, although before they are 12 months old they should not be hungry at meal times (they can have their milk around 1 hour before).

Also, at 8 months old it is not that unusual to not sleep through the night (my son still doesn't at 17 months!). As a mum, I believed for a long time that all other babies were sleeping through the night from a very young age but I now understand that the way babies sleep is different to adults. I found the book The No Cry Sleep Solution excellent in informing me of gentle ways to help a baby to sleep and what my expectations about this should be.

One final point, babies who are genuinely allergic to cows milk are often allergic to soya milk to. Perhaps your paediatrician does not feel Elizabeth is allergic to cows milk but just wants to try soya milk?

I hope this has been helpful.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 6th June 2012 at 04:16 AM.

Soy has a high aluminum content and 95% of soy is now grown from GMO seed (genetically modified organisms) which means that the plants can be sprayed with Round-Up (a highly toxic pesticide) and the weeds around it will die, but it will continue to grow. It's not a good thing to have any of our food exposed to pesticides.

Here's a good video by Dr. Mercola explaining how soy has been linked to brain damage and cancer.

I would suggest that any mum considering giving her child soy formula do her due diligence and take some time to really investigate the health risks. It's sad that a food that's been touted as being "healthy" actually comes with some fairly high risks for disease.

I hope you're able to find something that works well for Elizabeth. At 8 months she should be able to start tolerating cereal well. I found that most of my children were not ready for solids until they were 8 months, and one wasn't ready for much until she was over a year. If you do give her some cereal, you may want to consider mixing in some pureed prunes as well, because cereal can bind the stools constipating babies at times. She will probably really like the cereal with prunes anyway, as the prunes give it a nice sweet taste.

And if you truly want to put Elizabeth on a fairly rigid sleep/wake/play schedule, there is a book called "On Becoming Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo. I was never one for putting my children on a strict sleep schedule, but others have used it with some success. I would tend to go with LJ's suggestion of reading your baby's sleep signals.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hello,

Just checking in to see how Elizabeth is doing.

Warm regards,

Kate