Hybrid View

Vaccination Options

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of no-vaccinations. The reason being is because I wasn't vaccinated as a child and he was. When I was 17 I received about 7 vaccinations at once because I was at a doctor's office who insisted I needed them. I became very sick for about a week afterwards and I thought, "why did I do this!?" I never came down with anything before getting my vaccinations but I also know that there is a possibility that my daughter may come in contact with diseases such as Polio.
    My parents never gave me a reason for not allowing vaccinations and so I feel that I am not educated enough to make a good decision for my daughter.
    So my questions are:
    What vaccinations are OK to skip?
    What are the positives and negatives to vaccinations?
    What age should we vaccinate our daughter, if we chose to do so?

Hi ellesmommy,

I believe that each parent needs to consider every vaccine which is offered to their child and weigh up the potential side effects of the vaccine against the potential benefits. Whether you choose to have the vaccination carried out may depend on how likely it is that your child will come into contact with the disease in question and the severity and likelihood of the possible side effects.

The Australian Vaccination Network has lots of information on this topic and reading through this can help you to make this decision. The excellent book The Parents Concise Guide to Childhood Vaccinations also discusses the reasons for and against the different childhood vaccines.

I feel that, as a parent, I should gather as much reliable information as possible on this topic and then make the decision case-by-case on each offered vaccine.

Best wishes with your decision,

LJ

I agree with LJ. My husband and I reviewed the pros/cons and side effects for each vaccine. In the end, we decided to get some and not others. We also decided to have them administered on a delayed schedule.

This is a very personal decision. I encourage you to do the research and come to a conclusion that works best for your individual situation, one that you will feel good about. LJ has provided you with some good resources.

Best of luck,
    Angela

MMR (Measles, Mumps and Ruebella) is one of the vaccines that carries the highest risk of complications/reactions but I agree with Angela and LJ - you need to review the pros and cons of each vaccine and then make a decision that works best for you and your family.

Here's a post which talks about when you should vaccinate your child and here's another that shares how you can make an informed decision on vaccination.

Both threads will give you some excellent information.

Please post back with any questions as we all know that navigating the vaccination decision making process can be a challenge at times.

Warm regards,

Kate